Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fugly Bucker - Come and Get it

Originally posted by VHTJay View Post
    The guitar won't be bright. I have a singlecut PRS with a mahogany body/maple top, full rosewood neck and an ebony board. The ebony definitely increases attack and percussiveness, but the overall tonality is big, full and warm; although clear! Those are great tonewoods Orpheo; should be a really cool build! I will say this: I own 3 rosewood necked guitars and tonally they are pretty different than your standard 'hog or maple necked versions. Just keep in mind that the low to low-mid emphasis you get from a full rosewood neck also changes optimal pickup choice (for ME anyway!).
    I believe Kojak was making a joke there, hence the "just pulling your leg."
    "Times have not become more violent. They have just become more televised."
    - Marilyn Manson

Comment

Originally posted by VHTJay View Post
      The guitar won't be bright. I have a singlecut PRS with a mahogany body/maple top, full rosewood neck and an ebony board. The ebony definitely increases attack and percussiveness, but the overall tonality is big, full and warm; although clear! Those are great tonewoods Orpheo; should be a really cool build! I will say this: I own 3 rosewood necked guitars and tonally they are pretty different than your standard 'hog or maple necked versions. Just keep in mind that the low to low-mid emphasis you get from a full rosewood neck also changes optimal pickup choice (for ME anyway!).
      I have 5 rosewood necks but it was lr kojaks remark combined with a comment I heard yesterday that caught me off guard. Thats all.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
        Why do you think its bright? Mahogany and rosewood are considered warm and koa is like mahogany.
        Oh, don't mind me, man. I'm just thinking about the few guitars I've assembled with Warmoth parts were a bit on the bright side, that's all.

But as you actually own far more guitars made from Warmoth parts than I've ever assembled in thirteen years, I tend to believe that you're probably right and I'm most probably dead wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
          I am experiencing a major case if deja vu. Someone said almost the exact same thing to me last night on facebook. But he aint italian! Nor named pepe.
          And I'm not on facebook either.

What can I say? Great minds think alike... or so they say.

Comment

Well... I'm not afraid it will sound too bright. the neck is an inch thick with a nut 1 3/4 inch wide... if that won't howl, I don't know what will.

Comment

Did they decide to scrap the idea of sandblasting the rail bobbin? No biggie either way but the pics of the ones on here received by other forum members, and the 2 sets I ordered, look like the plain black rail bobbin of the assembled pickup in the first OP (maybe slightly less glossy than standard black) and not the sandblasted blade bobbin pictured below the assembled pickup. I was kind of hoping for the sandblasted bobbin but no big deal either way. Kind of looks cool as a zebra-ish black glossy/matte combo. Just wondering if things changed midstream somewhere?

Mine looks more similar to the original assembled pickup with the black rail coil in this picture and not the matte rail coil:

Click image for larger version

Name:	fugly standard.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	5763563

This is the original Fuglybucker pic from the original post, photoshopped with the matte blade coil:

Name:	Fugly photoshopped.jpg
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	5763561

Here is my actual bridge position Fuglybucker in the matte mounting ring:

Name:	Fuglybucker mine.jpg
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	5763562
              Last edited by Fusion1; 11-30-2012, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Not quite sure what to make of it yet. Its an odd mixture of soupy thickness and percussive bite. Honestly I should probably put it in a much better sounding guitar for more reliable results. Also I need to use more volume than is permissible at 11PM in an apartment building full of old folks.
                Originally posted by Aceman
                It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by ex-250 View Post
                  I need to use more volume than is permissible at 11PM in an apartment building full of old folks.
                  Oh man, I sure know what you're talking about.

I do feel your pain and no, you're not alone bearing that cross.

HTH,

Comment

After getting some decent crank time, this pickup is pretty damn awesome. The punch and percussiveness is quite unparalleled, which makes it pretty interesting to play with. A fun pickup.
                    Originally posted by Aceman
                    It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by ex-250 View Post
                      After getting some decent crank time, this pickup is pretty damn awesome. The punch and percussiveness is quite unparalleled, which makes it pretty interesting to play with. A fun pickup.
                      Got my set in the mail right now

Now I'm just waiting for my ML-2 to come in the mail so I can begin operating procedure

The ML-2 is a set maple/ebony neck with 24 frets on a 2pc mahogany body. ML-2 has a 25" scale....any predictions/speculations?

Comment

So, what's up with the off-center bobbin issue? Has that been figured out?
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Yogi Berra was correct.
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Anyone care to comment on how it would pair up with a crazy8?

Comment

It's quite a bit different. Lots of punch.

I think the goal to have a less boomy neck pickup in the neck of a Les Paul has been reached.

However, I can't mount the thing. In the neck position the ring is too high, higher than the 22th fret. In the bridge position, leaving aside the problem of lack of curve on the bottom, the ring is way too flat. Combine that with the short legs and you aren't anywhere near mounting distance.

High-tech mount made of the packaging material in the box:

Comment

That's awesome you put them in a LP. If you've got a dremel just use the fugly ring as a template and grind out some LP rings. I've done it before (same ring as an Iommi/Diablo uses). You can probably use a pencil and some sandpaper too, it'll just take longer.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                                So, what's up with the off-center bobbin issue? Has that been figured out?
                                Others have chimed in and it looks like mine were a fluke.
                                Nothing to worry about.

And just an FYI, I was able to dremel/sand out enough room in a pair of TripleShot curved rings to fit the pups in.
                                Just need to drill a couple of new holes to secure the neck pup.
                                Hopefully, I'll get to finishing the wiring tomorrow.
                                MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
                                Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

Working...
                                X