banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickup Shootout - Duncans, Dimarzios, Bill Lawrences, Emgs, Bare Knuckles, Oh my!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pickup Shootout - Duncans, Dimarzios, Bill Lawrences, Emgs, Bare Knuckles, Oh my!

Old schoolish thrashy tone!!! I think I like the A9 detonator the best lol.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Re: Pickup Shootout - Duncans, Dimarzios, Bill Lawrences, Emgs, Bare Knuckles, Oh my!

Dude, props for all the pickup comparisons. What do you think an unoriented ceramic would do in the detonator?

Also, if I'm reading it right you said the A9 version had the least clarity of the detonator versions, so... which one has the most clarity?

Comment

Good question. I'm not sure, it's notoriously hard to predict how pickups will react to different magnets with any accuracy, so Imma probably just record a clip of it with the UOCeramic. If I had to guess, I'd say it'd be the thinnest, yet warmest sounding out of the versions already on here; maybe a tad bit more clarity than the Big Ceramic, but with a much smoother response across the board. But that's just my guess for now, gonna have to experiment at some point soon hopefully.

And yeah, the A9 is an absurdly strong magnet; it's got the strongest pull out of all the magnets I've tried by a long shot, so I'm sure that contributes to it's somewhat 'fuzzy' sound. The version with the most clarity overall so far would probably be the stock version honestly, though the A8 has a clearer bottom-end. I think it might clear up more with something like an A2/A3 in there though, or maybe even with just a regular ceramic instead of the big one, would have to actually try it out first to be sure though.
        MASSIVE PICKUP SHOOTOUT - Duncan, Dimarzio, EMG, Bare Knuckle Pickups, Gibson, Bill Lawrence, magnet swaps, and more!

Souncloud: https://soundcloud.com/oblique63/

Comment

For whatever reason, I found the UO ceramic to have the least bass and output. Output was just a notch about A2, but much less than A5. And the bass reminded me between A2 and A5, it doesn't have the ceramic thump or A5 bump. However, it had all the ceramic's mids and treble. Not sure if I got a weird one or not, but that's been my experience. It was kinda bland in the Dominion.

Comment

Awesome thread! Thanks for all the comparison clips. I was really surprised to hear such distinct differences between the Distortion and JB variations, especially with all the debating over whether or not the Distortion and JB have the same wind. It's obvious when listening to each pickup using the same magent types that different frequencies are emphasied with the DD vs JB.

As to favorites, I keep coming back to the Distortion A5, JB ceramic, regular Distortion, and regular JB for different reasons.

Comment

Very nice demonstration, must have taken a while to record all that. Would love to hear this with the gain rolled way back for more of an 80's vibe.

Comment

Just listened to all of these again almost a full year later and I liked the Bill Lawrence L-90 the best in both the bridge and neck now over the Duncan Distortion. I think the L-90 is lower output than the DD but it doesn't sound that way.
                Originally posted by KBliss
                WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                Originally posted by trevorus
                The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Dumb question but in words what does the UO Ceramic magnet to for the JB? Since I was thinking of putting one in my JB and I liked it quite alot from the recording but I'd like to have a better description.
                  “Dude, sucking at something is the first step towards being sorta good at something.” - Jake the Dog

Comment

What happened to the Painkiller clips? Those sounded the best out of them all, and now they're gone, wtf?

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
                      What happened to the Painkiller clips? Those sounded the best out of them all, and now they're gone, wtf?
                      I had Painkillers? If you mean the Nailbomb, the clips for that should still be up. The forum page has problems loading all the clips sometimes, but everything should still be up on my soundcloud.

And yeah, I've been AWOL for a while... I also just remembered I never uploaded the clips for the WCR and Warpig you sent me ages ago, how embarrassing . I'll get on that...
                      MASSIVE PICKUP SHOOTOUT - Duncan, Dimarzio, EMG, Bare Knuckle Pickups, Gibson, Bill Lawrence, magnet swaps, and more!

Comment

Do you remember which version of the L-90 you used?
                        Originally posted by KBliss
                        WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                        Originally posted by trevorus
                        The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

I had both the 8.0H (for the bridge), and the 4.0H (for the neck), but I believe I only tried the 8H on the bridge. I have samples for both on the Neck though.

Comment

Heh, I woulda sworn it was you that had some PK clips up, musta been someone else.

Comment

Huge job, thx for sharing!

Did you initially record them to share, or for personal reference/note keeping?
                              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Working...
                              X