banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibson 491T magnet swap.. Where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson 491T magnet swap.. Where to start?

Anyone tried out any alnicos in the melody maker's stock ceramic 491T?

A8 maybe?

Re: Gibson 491T magnet swap.. Where to start?

WTF is a 491?

Comment

Stock pup in the ltd run MMs

Comment

500T?
        498T?
        490T?

Comment

I have read over on Harmony Central Electric Guitars that the people that have the Melody Makers with that pickup say they are surprisingly good. I'd like to try one myself (pickup) as I dig Gibson ceramics. I actually LIKE the pickups in the Epiphone SG which is an Epi ceramic.

Comment

Ah. No wonder I'd never heard of the 491T...it's actually a DD HB103. At least, that's what some of the links I found in my panicked googling showed me. I'd expect it to respond somewhat similarly to a Distortion, as that's what it's based on, right?

Comment

Originally posted by AniML View Post
              Anyone tried out any alnicos in the melody maker's stock ceramic 491T?

A8 maybe?
              WHY are you interested in this particular p'up?

Comment

Because; that's why.

Sheesh...

At any rate, no I haven't, but I am sure you could make a good pickup with some experimentation. Some of my favorite Strat pickups I've ever used are modified MIM pickups. Have at it.
                Last edited by ItsaBass; 10-21-2012, 05:19 AM.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1 View Post
                  I have read over on Harmony Central Electric Guitars that the people that have the Melody Makers with that pickup say they are surprisingly good. I'd like to try one myself (pickup) as I dig Gibson ceramics. I actually LIKE the pickups in the Epiphone SG which is an Epi ceramic.
                  It is a decent pickup. I've tried a PGb, Demon, Tonerider classic A4 (current) and none of them are getting me what I want. Maybe Gibson tweaked the 491T for the thin maple slab it was going into?

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
                  Ah. No wonder I'd never heard of the 491T...it's actually a DD HB103. At least, that's what some of the links I found in my panicked googling showed me. I'd expect it to respond somewhat similarly to a Distortion, as that's what it's based on, right?
                  This is a common source of confusion. The Gibson 491 is not a DD in disguise. Some of the melody makers came with the Gibson 491, others with the HB 103. There was no "repackaging" or rebranding

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                  WHY are you interested in this particular p'up?
                  See above.. I am tempted to give it another try and perhaps with magnet swaps. I also may give the Demon another go. It is supposed to be for this kind of application

Comment

Maybe Gibson tweaked the 491T for the thin maple slab it was going into?
                    To "tweak" for tone is just not in Gibson's DNA.

I'm positive if something was "tweaked" was to reduce production costs.

If it sounds good, it's been by sheer luck. A fluke.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                      To "tweak" for tone is just not in Gibson's DNA.

I'm positive if something was "tweaked" was to reduce production costs.

If it sounds good, it's been by sheer luck. A fluke.
                      AFAIK the melody maker series is the only model using this pickup. With due respect, Why run production on a new pickup that you are not selling ala carte? They could have used the 490 or 498.

Comment

AFAIK the melody maker series is the only model using this pickup. With due respect, Why run production on a new pickup that you are not selling ala carte? They could have used the 490 or 498.
                        Cost. It may even be asian made, for what we know.

Comment

sorry for bringing up such an old thread. it comes up on google if you search "gibson 491t". i missed the boat by like 2 years but hopefully this might still be of interest to someone

i have a les paul melody maker with the 491t. maybe the earlier production melody maker guitars had the "duncan designed". i'm not sure. but my 2 MM guitars (i have an explorer too, it was the cheapest way to get a white gibson explorer into my collection!) came with the 491t, the LP was made october 2011 and the explorer was 2012 i think.

i'm getting old. the gain knob has been turned down to around 9 o'clock. thats around the time i go to bed now a days. no more king v through a 5150 stack, now i'd like a telecaster and a twin reverb. i swapped the ceramic 491t magnet for an alnico 2 to try to mellow it out a little and make it less thin and bright sounding. the alnico 2 made a huge difference, it sounds very warm and clear. i'm very happy with the modification.

the internals

the new magnet is on the left

why? it's cheaper than buying a "better" pickup. even a used one on craigslist in my area. i'm not a professional musician or in a band, and i have so many hobbies i need to work within a tight budget.

-jay

Comment

Just to chime in, I would try a UOA5, warmth of an A2 but just a bit more oomph. Or maybe add one ceramic spacer...

Comment

Or two...

Comment

Working...
                              X