banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my little review between Duncan Custom and Duncan Custom Five.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my little review between Duncan Custom and Duncan Custom Five.

So Guy's , after very long tests,I have finally an idea of ​​the direction I want to go.

CUSTOM FIVE SH14 or TB14:

By reading the forums, I thought, by installing the custom five, that I will get a great balanced sound, with as many lows than treble, but more scooped midds , in short: a hole in the mids, make this Pup a little bit dark sounding or not open enough. Warm but not really "super-open".....but these fears were unfounded

-By playing pantera style rythms , (or other bands like chimaira) I have immediately understood what it meant "to have punch." The riffs are heavy with a super punch, we feel the pleck stroke and the right hand (if right handed ). And despite a more bassy sound than the JB, the accuracy of each note is really much better. Everything is more subtle, more compressed but really opened at the same time.
    Playing solos was a slap in my face !! while I thought the JB was that there were better, I have been surprised by the ability to play solos with the custom five .
    the highs are much, much more defined than the JB !!!! When playing bends, the pup screams with a hell's precision.

I have been amazed by the ability of the Custom-five to make sounds the shades of each note, quite accurate. On this point, the JB is really much, much worse, and again, although the JB is more "trebly" and less fat, it sounds more "muddy". Surprising.We read everywhere that this pickup has a great clarity, but without really knowing exactly how it sounds / that means...:
    The sound had really extraordinary precision and it is really super accurate, really. Crystal clear sound but not harsch, which is really singing highs, very warm.

CUSTOM SH 5 or TB5: (to compare it with the custom)

I mounted the custom in my guitar last week and play a lot since.

I' ve not change the sound of my amp, to be sure to get a real 1 to 1 comparison. (this will come later i suppose ^^ )

I was directly surprise about the tonal differences between the Custom five TB14 and custom TB5.
    First caracteristic is the attack:
    -The custom , because of increased mids, got a lot of attack and power; more than i thought. Very good Punch. A little bit more than the custom five. But attention; this is normal because the custom Five has a more fully vintage sound with less mids, the custom five sounds "rounder" , when the custom sounds punchier.
    The sounds are not the same , but i was surprising, because you can really feel, while playin' these pup's, that all two's are customs. Not the same sound, but the same character. It's surprising.

I play metal so wich is the best for me?
    some of you could be surprised but i think the custom five is better for my playing style.
    He get's a fuller sound, the mids are lower, but Not scooped, just the right mids to get a full warm and punchy sound. Less mids could make the custom five scoopy in the mids but as it is, No; he's definitly not scooped. (But sure , if you play a custom five with a mesa rectifier, it's not the best association .
    The custom five allows me to get more vintage sounds but too, to get a sound that is more versatile in metal or rock. The deep bottom is alwas here, while the custom has punch but to less ground. The custom five is more controlable and sounds cleaner, despite of the more bassy sound, and he get's never muddy.
    That was my great surprise about the custom TB5: The mids frequencie's make this pickup a little bit dirty, not bass, but mids, certainly because of more mids but mainly of more distortion, make it not as accuracy than the custom five. It's simply a little bit too much for me, to much distortion make it a little bit dirty, and not enough warm bassy sound.....but very impressive power.

In Brief:
    i was searching for an replacement pickup for my JB (TB4) and the result is that the custom five is nearer for what i was searchin for, while the custom has a sound that come nearer to the JB. The interesting thing is that the custom has better mids than the JB , he's more "traditionnal" and it result no "bad mids frequencie's" that made the JB such a controversy reputation.
    The punch and the rythm capability's of the Custom are much better than the JB. Only by the highs, the JB is better, but not much more than i was though.
    The custom has the sound to cut through ,(I now understand what is written on the box) and the highs are not harsh; they are really good for an ceramic magnet pickup.

All in all, the Custom is a great solution/alternative for a JB replacement , it's a JB made for ryhtm !!!
    But i was searchin' a pup that gives me more and the Custom Five does it. More bass (but not muddy) deeper mids as Custom or JB, and this is the essential point , that allows me to turn up the mids to get a punchier sound like a custom but with less distortion , but with very impressive clarity, too.

Seymour wrote on the box (about the custom five compared to custom):

"It offers the optimum balance of warmth, punch and power to clarity. Compared to SH5 custom, it is more vintage with less distortion, but it's very strong and powerfull , it's fuller than an SH5 with softer highs more bass and slightly less output. Clean Sounds are rich and full with enhanced presence. "

This is exactly the right description.

It remains for me only to remove the custom from my guitar, and send it to Ltkojak for an alnico8 mag swapping. But I wonder if it is even worth it ? I'm curious to see the result, compared to five cutom and custom.

PS: I mean (for metal playing) that the custon Five is the better choice for amps that needs to turn up the mids for sounding Good, like a Marschal JVM's, while the custom is the better choice for amps that sounds very full and modern like Mesa rectifier or Engl Powerball's or Diezel amps.
    For amps like teh Peavy 5150, I think the two can be interesting pickup's, each with specific tonal characteristics.

PS2: i was playing the custom bridge combined with a PAT-B2 in the neck. Both splitted, you get a very telecaster type sound, very cool.

I'd glad to have your opinion. Thanks for reading.

Re: my little review between Duncan Custom and Duncan Custom Five.

cool review and i have come to the conclusion that since i like the custom,jb and many others i have tried in the last few months i need more guitars for each of them!
    Excellent deals with,
    Frank falbo,Rockstarnick,SrDeMaFp,Joyouswolf,SFW,gpengui ns
    Jacksontrader,Latsmcgee,IndySG,Ghostmaker,
    slaveunit,atreidesheir,appar111,ex-250,dominus,
    guitarkingdomworks,appar111,ginoames,chickencoop,
    51501984,guitarfreak,notesfield,raybarbeemusic,
    king izzo,Tone scavenger,Heem6,Checo,metalmachine,MetLking

Comment

up

Comment

I really love the sh5 i got on a trade here, i think it is pretty much the opitome of a overwound gibson paf
        it takes the classic gibson humbucking tone and notches up the bass,mids and trebles kind of like a paf plus

Dont think i would like the custom-5 since it dramatically emphasises the bass and treble and has the V shape eq, never went for that eq tone
        Excellent deals with,
        Frank falbo,Rockstarnick,SrDeMaFp,Joyouswolf,SFW,gpengui ns
        Jacksontrader,Latsmcgee,IndySG,Ghostmaker,
        slaveunit,atreidesheir,appar111,ex-250,dominus,
        guitarkingdomworks,appar111,ginoames,chickencoop,
        51501984,guitarfreak,notesfield,raybarbeemusic,
        king izzo,Tone scavenger,Heem6,Checo,metalmachine,MetLking

Comment

Can't go wrong with the custom. It's my overall favorite. My favorite right now is a custom/jb hybrid that I made with a ceramic mag. Very cool. Distortion is also very good choice if you want modern sound

Comment

The Custom has been my current favorite Duncan for about the past year. For my playing style, it really is the perfect pickup.
            2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
            2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
            2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

I used the Custom in my dual humbucker Squier Strat for a couple of years and still prefer it overall to the Custom 5. I play blues and jazzy rock. No metal whatsoever.

The Custom 5 almost always seemed to sharp and trebley to me and to me, this is because it needs more midrange.

The Custom has those missing mids but it lacks some of the organic quality that the Custom 5 has. Must be the ceramic magnet. I don't hear the sizzle some attribute to ceramic but I do hear a slightly less natural, less organic tone to the Custom.

Of the two, I'd still go for the Duncan Custom. It's easier on my ears, the treble is less piercing (to me) and it has more midrange and a fuller sound.

I've gone back to using alnico 2 paf style humbuckers rather than overwound pickups like the Custom or Custom 5 or JB.
              Last edited by Lewguitar; 10-22-2012, 09:04 AM.
              “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                I used the Custom in my dual humbucker Squier Strat for a couple of years and still prefer it overall to the Custom 5. I play blues and jazzy rock. No metal whatsoever.

The Custom 5 almost always seemed to sharp and trebley to me and to me, this is because it needs more midrange.

The Custom has those missing mids but it lacks some of the organic quality that the Custom 5 has. Must be the ceramic magnet. I don't hear the sizzle some attribute to ceramic but I do hear a slightly less natural, less organic tone to the Custom.

Of the two, I'd still go for the Duncan Custom. It's easier on my ears, the treble is less piercing (to me) and it has more midrange and a fuller sound.

I've gone back to using alnico 2 paf style humbuckers rather than overwound pickups like the Custom or Custom 5 or JB.
                This is exactly what I feel separates the Custom & the C5. The custom gives better definition and crunch but the C5 sounds more natural to my ears and the scoop works for me. It's a narrow victory, but like the OP, I prefer the C5. When doing harder stuff or anytime i want a cruncher sound I grab my Epi LP that is Custom equipped.

I've had the good fortune of owning a Custom, CC, C5, & C8. All have a unique tone. My preference is C5, C8, Custom, and personally, I don't like the CC. There's not s ton off bottom end and the A2 makes it soft. So, to my ears, the CC sounds very treble-heavy. It has it's purposes, but they don't come up often for me, so I stick to the other options in the Custom-range. I will be getting a C/59 hybrid soon. Can't wait to try it!
                MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Comment

I have no idea why the C5 gets the bad rap it does around here. It is nowhere near as scooped sounding as people describe it. Definitely one of my favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by SAVAGE DISTORTION View Post

Dont think i would like the custom-5 since it dramatically emphasises the bass and treble and has the V shape eq, never went for that eq tone

Opinions differ and that's fine , however, I do not understand why a pickup as the C5 is considered scooped whereas a 59 or alnico 2 pro, or a blues PATB-3 not.....
                    all of them get's the same V-shape but they are don't scooped. They're simply warm and bluesy.

The C5 is don't scooped.
                    Sure he has less mids than a custon, ŕ JB or ŕ Distortion, but scooped ??? definitly not IMHO .
                    he has simply a more vintage sound, but not scooped.

Did you ever tried to turn up the mids on this pickup?
                    he get's massive attack without being shrill , harsch, but retains a very big power and accuracy. It's close to the custom, but with deeper bass, but very precise.

But it depends on wich amp you play it.

Comment

Originally posted by ExplorersRock View Post
                      This is exactly what I feel separates the Custom & the C5. The custom gives better definition and crunch but the C5 sounds more natural to my ears and the scoop works for me. It's a narrow victory, but like the OP, I prefer the C5. When doing harder stuff or anytime i want a cruncher sound I grab my Epi LP that is Custom equipped.

I've had the good fortune of owning a Custom, CC, C5, & C8. All have a unique tone. My preference is C5, C8, Custom
                      i don't think the custom has more definition.
                      If you get your amp with the same EQ settings, perhahps.
                      But go and turn up the mids on your amp whilme playing the C5 and you will surprised.

i don't think the custom has more definition because he has a very impressive clarity that allows you to play very complicated things, (runs, palm mutes etc...) with an icrdible précision, while a custom that sounds pretty good too, will be dirtyer.

That's what i like on the C5. It's a metal blues pickup that allows you to play metal with blues feelings... with a very good warmth.
                      the other point that i like on the C5, are the highs.

Some of you said that the highs of the C5 are too present, but it is precisely what I love. I was scared, by switching from the JB to the C5, that the C5 will 'not happen to sounds as good as the JB by solo playing.
                      But he does, and teh highs are ŕ little bit more present, that's true, but they are smoother, warmer.

You can also turn op the highs a little bit down at the amp, and you will become the same solo capability's with the C5 than with the JB too.

the biggest difference between the Custom 5 and the Custom is that the C5 has a very deep and round (but not muddy) bass, while the cutom has more output and a more aggressive sound due to te middles.

the best compromise would be to have a pickup with the mids of the custom (still a little less anyway) but with the same bass and highs than the custom 5.

Comment

Originally posted by RayBarbeeMusic View Post
                        I have no idea why the C5 gets the bad rap it does around here. It is nowhere near as scooped sounding as people describe it. Definitely one of my favorites.

I agree with you and do not understand too, why the C5 has this reputation.
                        Wich C5 characteristics do you like Compared to the Custom?

I'm curious to see if your opinion joined mine ....

Comment

I have tried a SE Custom 22 that had the Sh14 in the bridge. It definitely sounded kinda scooped & spiking/piercing in the treble frequencies with my bright amp. Might have been the maple top/mahogany body they use on the guitar or my amp(it's a laney lc50). That guitar also had a 59' in the neck. I could hardly hear a difference going between the neck & middle position on that guitar. I guess you need a very dark midrangy amp for the sh14 to shine the fullest.

The eq makes me think that it's designed to be used in a full mahogany guitar, what would I expect if i were to use it with a basswood body, maple neck guitar? I'm kinda looking for changing the bridge p'up & was wondering about on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
                            I have tried a SE Custom 22 that had the Sh14 in the bridge. It definitely sounded kinda scooped & spiking/piercing in the treble frequencies with my bright amp. Might have been the maple top/mahogany body they use on the guitar or my amp(it's a laney lc50). That guitar also had a 59' in the neck. I could hardly hear a difference going between the neck & middle position on that guitar. I guess you need a very dark midrangy amp for the sh14 to shine the fullest.

The eq makes me think that it's designed to be used in a full mahogany guitar, what would I expect if i were to use it with a basswood body, maple neck guitar? I'm kinda looking for changing the bridge p'up & was wondering about on this one.

i' m surprised about your comment. The SH-14 , piercing in the treble?
                            definitly not. It has more highs than a 59 for an exemple, but the highs are very smooth, and youvan turn them a little down
                            You said "in my bright amp"; that's certainly the reason.

You said :
                            "I guess you need a very dark midrangy amp for the sh14 to shine the fullest."

Definitly not . I play an amp with full of midds and not so much bass than the new modern amps like rectifier, or somme engl's. You can trust me ; the SH-14 gives me just the right things to make my amp soundig very warm.

I always got to much midrange and to less bass with my rack system, and the SH-14 make this sound balanced.

All in all, the SH14 is a 59 with a little more highs and great power. round sounding and full .
                            Last edited by Micha; 10-23-2012, 12:17 PM.

Comment

i' m surprised about your comment. The SH-14 , piercing in the treble?
                              definitly not. It has more highs than a 59 for an exemple, but the highs are very smooth, and youvan turn them a little down
                              You said "in my bright amp"; that's certainly the reason.

You said :
                              "I guess you need a very dark midrangy amp for the sh14 to shine the fullest."

Definitly not . I play an amp with full of midds and not so much bass than the new modern amps like rectifier, or somme engl's. You can trust me ; the SH-14 gives me just the right things to make my amp soundig very warm but modern too.

I always got to much midrange and to less bass with my rack system, and the SH-14 make this sound balanced.

All in all, the SH14 is a 59 with a little more highs and great power. round sounding and full, but absolutely not muddy.

It's really a PAF with big Balls. ^^
                              Last edited by Micha; 10-25-2012, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X