Bass pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass pickups?

I've been thinking about improving my soldering skills by installing pickups in my bass. I only bought it for $50 off a friend but have been told it's worth about $125. I never really plug it in because I currently don't have a bass amp (no need to buy one, my brother plays) but I may try to get a small amp in the future. I basically would like to try installing a set of pickups just for the fun of it. Which would you recommend. I would like something that would give a nice punchy punk rock tone. Any suggestions?

Tom
    -Tom

Epiphone G400 w/Duncan Custom
    Vox VT15
    Washburn D10SCE
    Getsch Electromatic Junior Jet Bass

Re: Bass pickups?

When i think of a punchy, P-bass pickup, I think of the Quarter Pound P-Bass. Have one, and I love it.

I have a Rondo bass on the way, and I'm thinking of putting a Vintage P-Bass into it, but for punchy rock, I'd stay with the Quarter Pound.

Comment

I agree with the Quarter Pounder sentiment. The best thing about said pickup is that it's not only adept at "punchy rock" tone, but it's very fat and warm, as well.

I wouldn't make choosing your bass pickup a huge priority if you're just using it as a practice tool for soldering. There are plenty of really cheap pickups that would work equally well for $hits and giggles.... if you're going for tone, however, either a QP or Hot would work nicely.

PS - I have absolutely no idea what bass you're putting this pup into. Might want to include more info. next time. Lucky for you, most Basslines are offered in both J and P configurations.
      It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
      - David St. Hubbins

Comment

My bass player (byakhee00) has both the Quarter Pound (SPB-3) and Hot for P-bass (SPB-2) in various basses. Of the two, I prefer the SPB-2 by far over the SPB-3 for a "punchy" rock sound. The SPB-3 is hot and loud, but they're so mid scooped you end up with more of a bass-heavy clank than a full bass tone. On the other hand, the boosted midrange of the SPB-2 really fills in the frequencies in addition to providing plenty of volume and cut.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I play and recommend QPs, but Hots are definitely underrated. dystrust has a point.
          It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
          - David St. Hubbins

Comment

I agree with dystrust. Basically, for the stuff that we do which is a heavy alt. rock sound, I'd limit the use of the QP for P-Bass to mahogany/koa basses. The QP for P-Bass doesn't sound very good in an Ash or Alder body to my ears. For those, i'd definatly go with a Hot for P-Bass. If you're curious as to what a QP sounds like in alder, play a Fender Mark Hoppus sig.
            Last edited by Byakhee00; 04-08-2004, 09:47 PM.
            Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I thinking the QP or vintage may be what I'm looking for. I'm gonna see if I can find them on ebay as opposed to buying them new. BTW my bass is a Blade P-bass style copy.
              -Tom

Epiphone G400 w/Duncan Custom
              Vox VT15
              Washburn D10SCE
              Getsch Electromatic Junior Jet Bass

Comment

Working...
              X