banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duncan '59 question: How does it rate in the neck coil tapped?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan '59 question: How does it rate in the neck coil tapped?

Wanting one for the neck position, but need to know how it sounds split distorted and clean. Looking for some versatility and like the option from humbucker to single coil. Huge Nuno fan and Yngwie too is the reasoning. Im an ex-Dimarzio guy, so this is my first foray into SD territory. Let me know!

I think is sounds good split. However, it is going to be a weaker signal that a standard single coil. If you have in in an H-S-H setup, it will blend nicely with the middle single. If you're splitting it by itself, it will have a vintage soft output. Some people like it, some don't. I never had an issue with it sounding bad when I had taps in my Les Paul.
    2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
    2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
    2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

Re: Duncan '59 question: How does it rate in the neck coil tapped?

yeah, i have a coil split switch on my guitar, when the humbuckers are split there's a good deal less output, i sometimes use this switch to switch to use single coil mode for a quieter glassier rhythm sound and humbucker mode for a louder boosted solo type sound or just a bigger rhythm sound in general. They are a good imitator of a strat-like sound though when needed. Tapped they are much more defined but you'll never get "the" strat sound out of them in my opinion. more of a vintage output p90 kind of sound. They just don't get as quacky or as hot as typical strat single coils. It may depend in what kind of guitar they're in though, mine are in a les paul type guitar so I just will never get that strat sound. maybe if in a strat style guitar they can nail it, i have no experience in that respect though.
      "Time flies like arrows, and fruit flies like bananas."

Comment

its a very usable sound. it doesnt sound as nice as a ssl1 or anything but its a good contrast to the series humbucker sound

Comment

When I split mine the big things I notice are a volume drop and a little bit of hum. Still sounds good though.
          Guitars
          Gibson Explorer (Cherry), Gibson Explorer (Black), Custom Explorer (White), Epiphone Korina Explorer, Jackson RRXT, Epiphone Flying V, Epiphone SG, Epiphone SG Junior, Les Paul Custom (Black), Les Paul Custom (Cream), PRS Tremonti SE

Comment

the split sound on a clean amp channel is the about the only reason I use a '59n. even with the stock A5 mag. I really don't use a split hum sound on my dirty amp settings, so I can't speak much to that part.

but I believe the subject line asks how it rates. well, in relation to what? the split neck hum has turned out to be one of the best sources for me for a clean amp setting. in this application I use the '59, Jazz, Hot Rail, PATB-1, Full Shred, DMT Nostalgia and the DMZ HFH... as far as humbuckers go. for the sound I like, the PATB-1, Nostalgia and HFH are more in line with what works for my rig, but the '59, Jazz, FS and HR are fine as well. they all blend well with a single in the middle or a split bridge hum.

the split '59 is a perfectly good tone. like has been said, it's not going to be a 'perfect' classic/vintage single tone, but more so than a DDn or any other high gain neck pickup.

the only way that I've found to make the '59n better (or the Jazz or FS, for that matter) is to put an A4 in there. it tightens up the lows and lets the highs come through a little more clearly. and that translates over to the split tone as well, so it can help give it a little more of that 'snap'. I've found that the DMT Nostalgia and the DMZ HFH don't need an A4 to get that quality.

Comment

If you plan to use split mode a lot, then might I suggest Stag Mag for a true single coil tone. It will also have more reasonable single coil output compared to the 59. This is actually a very good sounding pup.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I hear good twang from the '59 in split mode (neck) but it's kinda polite with distortion. Great, jazz-comping clean tone, no doubt.
                Psychic Horns

Comment

HAd one tapped in a Tele once. It was ok, if a little on the low output end.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                  X