Pups for an Ibanez RG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pups for an Ibanez RG

Hey, I have an Ibanez RG 471AH with the stock INF pickups. I’ve got arthritis in my hand and wrist, so I picked the RG for the super thin neck. I don’t really like the metal tone though, so I’m looking to change out the pickups. I’ve only been playing a year and have no idea where to start, when looking at pickups. There are an overwhelming amount of choices.

This is the guitar I have:

Find what you are looking for at Guitar Center with the GuitarCenter.com site map. Browse by product, brand and more

These are the styles of music I like:

The White Stripes:
    From the album "Elephant" Rate, Sub, and Comment.Lyrics:It's quite possible that I'm your third man girlBut it's a fact that I'm the seventh sonAnd right now...

Modest Mouse:
    Opinions were like kittens I was givin' them away.

The Black Keys:
    Lyrics:Girl is on my mind...try to ignore, try to unwind,she is on my mindeyes are in my eyes...where I've been, how time flies,she is in my eyessee her stan...

Weezer:
    REMASTERED IN HD!Read the story behind the Blue Album here: https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/weezer-blue-album-power-pop/Listen to more from Weezer: ht...

I have a Big Muff Pi and a Crybaby Wah pedal, and a low watt Vox tube amp (just for bedroom play) to help with the White Stripes stuff.

I would really appreciate help finding what pickups I should get.

Re: Pups for an Ibanez RG

If it was me I would go with a 59 in the bridge an SSL2 in the middle and a Pearly gates neck.

This will give you a nice selection of more vintage tones at your disposal. But this is just a first impression off of what you've said. What do you not like about the stock pickups. Are they too bright? too compressed? too loud? Do you want more attack?
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

They were the ones I was looking at. Chords sound really muddy with the stock pickups. I aslo like a little bit of twang for distorted blues. I want something pretty bright in the bridge.

Comment

You really can't go wrong with the JB/Jazz combo. Add in the SSL middle, and be done with it.
        -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Can I change just one or two pickups? How do you know if they will work together?

Comment

Originally posted by Dont_Trust_Bob View Post
            Can I change just one or two pickups? How do you know if they will work together?
            You can do whatever of course. However, the JB and Jazz go together like peas and carrots.

-Chris

Comment

JB might be a bit hot, maybe a Custom Custom and a Pearly Gates neck model.
              http://www.lonephantom.com
              http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

Thanks for all of the responses. I think these are my best option: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seymour-...52-i1127363.gc

One more question, Do you think it would make a noticeable difference or should I just throw on some new strings and practice longer before I worry about tone?

Comment

Thanks for all of the responses. I think these are my best option: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seymour-...52-i1127363.gc

One more question, Do you think it would make a noticeable difference or should I just throw on some new strings and practice longer before I worry about tone?
                  Practice will do AMAZING things for your tone. Even new strings can make a dead sounding guitar much livlier. That being said I still wouldnt vote for a JB or a Jazz. Yes they are great pickups but everything you've said about tone makes me think you would prefer more vintage style pickups. Keep in mind you dont have to swap all 3 either you can just swap one. But thats just my opinion.
                  "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

How often you change strings is a personally thing. However, since you are asking, I would think it is time to change them.

If you decide to go ahead with the pickup purchase, you will want a Trembucker for the bridge. Trembuckers are wider spaced to better fit the Ibanez bridge.

Practice always improves tone. (see John Suhr quote in sig)
                    -Chris

Comment

Thanks again, especially to Ayrton and Edgecrusher. Maybe I'll just start with a '59 in the bridge.

Comment

Thanks again, especially to Ayrton and Edgecrusher. Maybe I'll just start with a '59 in the bridge.
                        Oh and dont forget if you buy from a authorized SD dealer you have 21 days to try a pickup out and swap for one you think you will like better if it doenst jive with you.

Comment

The guys you listed, Jack White in particular all tend towards the vintage axe category, whether it be old lipstick pickups or P90s or Filtertrons, or even regular old single coil strat/tele tones.

You can find any number of alternatives for the RG on the Guitar Fetish website.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Pro-...ACK_c_189.html

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Mean-90-...ud-_c_132.html

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Nashvill...ome_c_100.html

As far as Duncans go, to keep the RG as versatile as possible while still nailing those tones, I'd say go vintage modern. Maybe a Jazz neck/'59 bridge set.

If you want something bassier, I'd say maybe a DiMarzio Paf Joe neck/Paf Pro bridge set.

Hot rodded set, Jazz/JB might be a little too hairy for your choice of music.
                          Last edited by 9unslin9er; 10-26-2012, 09:56 PM.
                          AccountKiller

Comment

Have these in mine:

Neck: '59
                            Mid: Cllassic Stack +
                            Bridge: Screamin' Demon

I chose the '59 for the neck knowing there's gonna be more top end since it's ash-bodied, the '59 job was to make this sound more palatable & it did just that. The Classic Stack + is perhaps my all-time favourite single coil tone by Duncan, especially when it sounds great for driven tone, not just cleans. The Demon worked in many other guitars I own, it's not high output yet it thumps. There.
                            Psychic Horns

Comment

If you want unusual pickupc for an ibby but definitely vintage combo, I recommend Pearly Gates bridge (with cover) - Twangbanger middle - Phat Cat neck

Comment

Working...
                              X