Did I buy the wrong JB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I buy the wrong JB?

I bought a JB Trembucker in case I want to put it in my backup guitar. Thing is the wiring looks different than the JB I put in my main guitar. In my main guitar, I recall the outer insulation being black, and then there were about four other smaller wires inside that.

That is what I was expecting with this JB that arrived today. I do recall the listing as saying it was a JB Trembucker Single Conductor.

I'm not sure I understand single conductor or four conductor. How can you make a humbucking pickup with just one wire?

Re: Did I buy the wrong JB?

it's actually two wires. hot and ground. hot is on the inside, and ground is the entire braided outside.

You might've gotten a shop floor custom JB or maybe an antiquity JB with that lead wire.

the 4 conductor wiring of your other JB gives you the option of wiring for series, parallel, coil splits, and out of phase in your guitar's control cavity.

the 2 conductor wiring as shown above is hard-wired in series inside the pickup itself, so you don't have the range of wiring options available. You can only wire it in series.
    Last edited by CTN; 10-26-2012, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Well I just install the pickup normally. I don't monkey with phase, split stuff. So I twist the outer braided wire and solder that to the volume pot? According to the diagram it says solder the black wire to the input terminal of the volume pot. That would be the terminal nearest to the 3-way switch.

It will actually work this way?

I don't touch or have to re-route anything else?

What happens if I wire the hot wire to the switch?
      Last edited by 357mag; 10-26-2012, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Allright lets get one thing clear.

The pickup has 2 coils and 'inside the pickup' under layers of tape iz where the magic happens. There its being made from 2 coils working seperately, into 1 humbucker. The braided wire you see is earth. In the 4 conductor schematic, its comparable with green and bare. The core, hot, , is synonymous with black. The soldering and isolation of red and white happens inside the pickup. Big whoop. Now you cant coil split of parallel wire the pickup. Phase is still possibld though.

So, as to what happens if you solder it to the switch. I do not know. Why? Because i dont know thebwiring. Just wire it up as it it were a regular 4 conductor. Only now you dont have to worry about making red and white together and insulated.

Comment

Some diagrams say wire the black wire to the volume terminal. Why would you do that? That's how the Duncan diagram shows it. A few other places it says wire the hot wire to the switch where you normally would.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
            Just wire it up as it it were a regular 4 conductor. Only now you dont have to worry about making red and white together and insulated.
            yes. dirt simple. black is hot. outer braid is ground.

as for the terminal or the switch, that depends on what you have. if it's a one pickup guitar, it should probably go to the terminal on the pot. if the guitar has multiple pickups, the black would go to wherever it belongs on the switch.

how is your axe configured?

edit: but if you don't want to deal with all the trouble of a 2-con TB4, just ship it to me. I won't even charge you for taking it off your hands. I'm cool that way.

Comment

I've got a Fat Strat S-S-H American Special. Okay I'll just wire the inner black wire to the switch where I normally do.

Comment

yep and the ground to a pot

Comment

You're good, man.

Comment

Working...
                  X