Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup for PRS CUSTOM 24 20th ANNIVERSAARY

Hello to all
    I would like, if possible, a help from you.
    I am the owner of a Tom Anderson Drop Top (of which I am satisfied with everything) and a PRS Custom 24 20th Anniversary, which does not satisfy me the sound of the pickup (it should be the HFS treble and Vintage Bass).
    Someone advised me to change the original pickups with Seth Lover but I'm very indecisive.
    I would like a sound crystal clear, because I think its sounds tend to merge, and gives me the impression that the volume pot is never at most, as if he had a noise gate, and then go continually hand to control the potentiometer to open it further. understand it's a different guitar by Tom Anderson and should not sound like that but it always seems that something is missing.
    Keep in mind that I do not want to make changes to the body of the PRS, but simply remove the original and replace them with others.
    I apologize for the inconvenience and if you can give me some advice I would be grateful.
    Thanks for the reply

Re: Pickup for PRS CUSTOM 24 20th ANNIVERSAARY

I can tell you this about the PRS 24 fret models: the neck pickup is mounted to close to the bridge.

But it has to be mounted where it is, because you've got two extra frets where the neck pickup should be.

Should be, that is, if you want it to sound like what you're used to hearing a neck pickup sound like in a Les Paul or in any good 21 fret or 22 fret electric guitar.

And there's no cure that I know of.

Sorry!

But welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 10-28-2012, 05:45 PM.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Neck pickups on 24 fret guitars are often a point of tonal issues with a LOT of 24 fret guitar players.

I have a buddy with a Custom 24 and he went thru a BUNCH of pickups trying to solve this very issue...in the end he wound up with 2 Pearly Gates bridge pickups and while it's not perfect it got him closer than anything else has.
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
        Neck pickups on 24 fret guitars are often a point of tonal issues with a LOT of 24 fret guitar players.

I have a buddy with a Custom 24 and he went thru a BUNCH of pickups trying to solve this very issue...in the end he wound up with 2 Pearly Gates bridge pickups and while it's not perfect it got him closer than anything else has.
        ...and I have a PG neck and 78 bridge.
        “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

I think in PRS Custom 24's, one of the magnets in any aftermarket set needs to be flipped lengthwise to make all the switching work. That means you'll be messing with magnets no matter what. (this is on guitars with 5 way rotary knob)

So, since you've already got good winds in your stock pickups, try experimenting with magnet swapping. Pull the pickups up out of the body, loosen the 4 brass bolts on the bottom and start trying mags like Alnico 8 in the bridge.

If that doesn't do it, I'd go with something like a C/59 Hybrid/Pearly Gates neck, both with 4 lead, and the bridge's mag flipped.
          Last edited by Gearjoneser; 10-29-2012, 12:48 AM.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

<--- That's my 1990 PRS Custom 24 with a Custom Custom Trembucker in the bridge and a Pearly Gates in the neck.
            Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
            Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post

<--- That's my 1990 PRS Custom 24 with a Custom Custom Trembucker in the bridge and a Pearly Gates in the neck.
              Where did you get that cream trembucker p'up ring?

Not from Duncan, that's for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke View Post
                ...and I have a PG neck and 78 bridge.
                ...And you're still not completely happy!
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Rio BBQ and Texas. Done!

Comment

Working...
                  X