P'up height adj- Very Surprised

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P'up height adj- Very Surprised

I did a sound comparison with 3 pick-ups heights and the results really surprised me- they were almost nominal!

PafPro (neck)- Tone Zone (bridge) in an alder Strat
    *see signal chain below for more info

a) real close to strings,
    b) half way between very close and very low, and
    c) almost bottomed out (don't forget, it's a pickguard guitar).
    I payed all 3 basic pickup positions, and several picking dynamics with everything apples to apples comparing.

I noticed VERY little tonal differences between A) and B) it was difficult to discern any appreciable difference. Predictably, C) was slightly duller.

The Tone Zone really surprised me, I've heard so much talk about finding that "sweet spot" because the TZ is so pickup height sensitive?!
    I'm wondering if pickup height difference is more noticeable on single coil and low output pickups?
    I'm sure I'll get people telling me my amp set up is part of the reason- I'm sure it IS part of the reason, but regardless- I am really surprised at the results.

In a way, I'm pretty happy though- I just have everything set at a moderate height and that's now one thing less I am spending time with.

Re: P'up height adj- Very Surprised

My first experiment with pickup heights was setting up my JB according to suggestions from a few guys on this forum. This also involved polepiece adjustment. I took it to a rehearsal and noticed the difference immediately - I hated it. I couldn't get the screwdriver out fast enough but it did show me how much difference adjustments can make.

My Bare Knuckle RYs took a great deal of adjusting to get right and that is without touching the polepieces. The way the tech had set them up was horrible but after a lot of messing around they now sound wonderful. Unbelievable difference.

I'm sure you're right about the amp having a lot to do with it. To be blunt, a cheap modelling amp is not going to be very sensitive to subtle changes. I heard a friend of my mine playing a gig with the same amp. He used a Tele, an LP and a Strat and they all sounded pretty much the same.

Comment

Originally posted by richard parker View Post
      My first experiment with pickup heights was setting up my JB according to suggestions from a few guys on this forum. This also involved polepiece adjustment. I took it to a rehearsal and noticed the difference immediately - I hated it. I couldn't get the screwdriver out fast enough but it did show me how much difference adjustments can make.

My Bare Knuckle RYs took a great deal of adjusting to get right and that is without touching the polepieces. The way the tech had set them up was horrible but after a lot of messing around they now sound wonderful. Unbelievable difference.

I'm sure you're right about the amp having a lot to do with it. To be blunt, a cheap modelling amp is not going to be very sensitive to subtle changes. I heard a friend of my mine playing a gig with the same amp. He used a Tele, an LP and a Strat and they all sounded pretty much the same.
      Something crazy interesting- I've played (or owned) the Cube 20, 30, 60 and now I own 2 80s. It amazes me that the amp models I use (Tweed and Black Panel- probably a 4X10 Bassman and a Twin) sound noticeably different - mainly with the jump from the 60 to the 80. AND I only play through headphones, so the size of the cab/speaker is out of the equation.

Also- I've played lots of modeling amps- this is the only one I found usable- including the $$ Fenders and other $$ modeling amps.
      I'm convinced that 90% of amp modeling owners play mostly high gain tones, so that's what the industry focuses on.

* Keep an eye out for a thread which I will post sound clips using both amp models- I think a lot of people have dismissive attitudes about modeling amps- I'd like to hear some comments on my sounds from my Cube 80- I think they're real good.
      Last edited by KRKBAB; 10-29-2012, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Oh- and this concerning this actual thread- I also often change the height of the pole pieces.

Comment

I'm curious - if you only play through headphones why have you bothered going from 20w to 80w ? I've got a Microcube and, for playing at conversation level, it's great but I don't think these amps scale upwards very well.

Comment

I'm curious - if you only play through headphones why have you bothered going from 20w to 80w ? I've got a Microcube and, for playing at conversation level, it's great but I don't think these amps scale upwards very well.
            I'm not sure of your question. Yes, I've tried them all (only through headphones). I'd assume, since the amp models are digital, that the amp models would be the same for each Cube (micro-20. 30...) but certainly, they would sound very different played through the speakers and cabinets of the different model.

I also found my EQ dials on my 80XL to be Very sensitive (it has Bass-Mid-Teb and Pres.)

Also- each EQ dial effects how the other EQ'd tones sound. There's a huge variety of possibilities- this is mainly with the Fender Amp models, not the high gain stuff.

Comment

OH-sorry- I get your question now!

I went through all of them because I wanted the best sound for recording (computer). The record out jacks work very well on the ones that have it.

That's why I mentioned looking for my Thread (coming soon!) which will have sound clips of recordings made with my Cube 80XL.

Comment

Working...
              X