59/Custom - Noisy ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59/Custom - Noisy ?

I put a 59/Custom hybrid together some time back and the darn think is noisy, 60 cycle hum that changes depending on how the guitar is situated in the room. Is this normal for a HB with unbalanced coils, or did I screw up some how? It is driving me insane! Oh whoops, I mean, MORE insane! LOL. HELP please.
    Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
    If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Re: 59/Custom - Noisy ?

Not mine.

Comment

Mine is very quiet.
      Originally posted by Aceman
      It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

sounds like a ground issue

Comment

1. Grounding?
          2. Wax potting?
          3. Bobbins connected properly? Wired properly?

Comment

Yep, I'd put it down to incorrect wiring too.....there will be some hum (a tiny bit due to the mismatched coils) but it shouldn't be like a singlecoil.

Comment

That's what I thought. I checked it once, will check it again. In a HB, are the two coils wrapped in opposite directions? If they are and a person used two coils that were wrapped in the same direction, could that cause it to be noisy? Thanks everyone.
              If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

Originally posted by J E C View Post
                That's what I thought. I checked it once, will check it again. In a HB, are the two coils wrapped in opposite directions? If they are and a person used two coils that were wrapped in the same direction, could that cause it to be noisy? Thanks everyone.
                The two coils wound in opposite directions, and being out of phase. The phase cancellation cancels the hum/noise.

Comment

That's what I thought. Since what ever the two coils pick up ( RF ) is out of phase between the two coils do to the reverse winding direction , it is canceled. But what ever is picked up by the magnet/magnets ( the strings ) is in phase do to the reverse polarity of the pole pieces coupled with the reverse windings. If I remember right. Thank you.

Comment

A humbucker with mismatched coils will cancel less hum than one with identical coils, that's the nature of the beast, but not a problem IMO.

Comment

As long as the two coils you put together end up with the leads at the same end then you're good....the coils being on the opposite side of the magnet does the hum cancelling. The two middle wires either get soldered together for the series connection or connected to white and red (white for the slug coil, red for the screw).

Comment

I will check the wiring again, and will try the other PU that I made with the other coils. Hopefully I can do it tonight. Been pretty buisy with work and building the new guitar. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X