EMG 81/85 replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG 81/85 replacement

I've searched the forum and couldn't find what I wanted, so I've decided to make a thread. I have an EMG 81/85 set in my ESP and I want to replace them with red pickups, but I cannot find red EMG's. So my question is, what is a good replacement for the 81/85 set? I could actually care less about the neck pickup. The bridge is the only one I really use in this guitar. I've read the SH-6 is in the ballpark and I like that pickup. I'm just afraid I'll lose the tone that I love coming out of this guitar. And let me say this, I really really like the EMG, and I know EMG's are not too popular over here, so the passive die-hards will have to bare with me on this. It's not a necessity to swap pickups, I just thought it would be a nice change. Anybody who likes actives, especially EMG's can relate. I welcome any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Re: EMG 81/85 replacement

I would call the custom shop and see if they can do a Blackouts Coil Pack wound on red bobbins. Then install them with the blackouts preamp.

The Blackouts are supposed to be improvements on the EMG active sound... I dunno I'm not a blackout user... but it seems like they'd be your best bet for active tone and noise reduction with a red look.

the other thing might be to see what kind of spray paint will stick to your pickup covers???
    Last edited by FuseG4; 10-30-2012, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
      I would call the custom shop and see if they can do a Blackouts Coil Pack wound on red bobbins. Then install them with the blackouts preamp.

The Blackouts are supposed to be improvements on the EMG active sound... I dunno I'm not a blackout user... but it seems like they'd be your best bet for active tone and noise reduction with a red look.

the other thing might be to see what kind of spray paint will stick to your pickup covers???
      I didn't even think of calling the custom shop. But on that note, $320 for a set of pickups doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

Comment

The schecter gary holt sig comes with red emg's so they are available somewhere
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

WOW he's right... red emgs... just goes to show that google is our friend
          can't seem to find anyone selling them though.

The other thing I can think of is Dimarzio's D-Activator set.
          They don't sound like an 81 and and 85... but it's ballpark-ish. I had a d-activator set and it's a hard pickup to explain. They tried to get the hard-hitting attack of the 81 by making the d-activator a bright medium-output pickup... it feels like a normal dimarzio pickup and doesn't push the amp as hard as I thought it would. Cool sounds though.

Anyways, yeah they can be ordered with red bobbins.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
            The schecter gary holt sig comes with red emg's so they are available somewhere
            Those are only available on that guitar, not as a set. I've looked high and low for those and they are nowhere to be found. I even went so far as to email EMG. The said no can do, not at this time. I think the only way to get those particular pickups is if someone removes them from that guitar and sells them.

Comment

Well Dmz D-Activators are in red and some say they are close to EMG's. I personally don't think that they are that similar but they do have the same kind of power and nastiness to them as said earlier.

But I also think that the best way is to get the Blackouts coil pack in red and then use the preamp.
              Originally posted by Jamie Hyneman
              When in doubt... C4
              "Biologists think they are biochemists,
              Biochemists think they are Physical Chemists,
              Physical Chemists think they are Physicists,
              Physicists think they are Gods,
              And God thinks he is a Mathematician."

"Physicists defer only to mathematicians, mathematicians defer only to God."

Comment

I owned a set of 81/85 and sold them. I admit that I miss them a lot now. Didn't sold them because I didn't like them, but because I bought a guitar that had EMGs on it. Then I sold the EMGs and a few months after sold the guitar with the EMGs, so I ended up EMGless :-) .I now have Duncans that sound great, but they are very different from the EMGs.
                What I'm trying to say is that if your guitar sounds great with the EMGs as you say, you'll regret changing them. No passive is going to sound like them. Even blackouts sound different, but are closer in sound than any passive, so if you can get blackouts in red via the Custom Shop, it may be the only option you have.

Comment

I'm not totally sure, you'll have to call in, but ordering the Blackouts Coil Pack in red might not be a true "Custom Shop" order. It might be "Shop Floor Custom", in which case there is little or no upcharge from buying the pickups normally. Those, plus the Blackouts Modular Preamp, as stated above, will probably be your best bet.

Comment

If you like the sound of the EMG pickups:

Dead serious.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post

Dead serious.
                      Took the words right outta my mouth, PJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Irons View Post
                        I'm not totally sure, you'll have to call in, but ordering the Blackouts Coil Pack in red might not be a true "Custom Shop" order. It might be "Shop Floor Custom", in which case there is little or no upcharge from buying the pickups normally. Those, plus the Blackouts Modular Preamp, as stated above, will probably be your best bet.
                        I would give that a try, but the the guitar I'm talking about doesn't have pots. Unless the coil packs can be used without the modular preamp pot, I wouldn't use it. I'm not very familiar with that setup. Also, I have Blackout ABH-1's in another guitar and I don't think they sound like EMG's. I suppose they are close enough.

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post

Dead serious.
                          That's scary. I thought of that and an not totally opposed to it, but I have a feeling I'll hate it and just be back to square 1. All great suggestions though.

Comment

Here's an idea:

Cut that to shape. Don't like it? Peel it off.

Comment

Working...
                            X