Seymour Duncan - Dimarzio equivalent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan - Dimarzio equivalent?

I have investigated what humbucker will give me the improvement in tone I need from Dimarzio and it's the Super Distortion. More of what I need: bass, mids, and output.

What duncan could fit the bill? my bridge pickup right now is about 8K, a "vintage" style pickup, if you will.

Re: Seymour Duncan - Dimarzio equivalent?

Invader.

Comment

I second the invader

Comment

An Invader? Really?

I'll say Custom, C5, Brobucker. Look into those.

Brobucker or a Custom with a big ceramic knocks up Super D's Mom.

Comment

Super Distortion uses a metric gauge of wire (43.5) with a ceramic magnet, brass baseplate and hex screws... the Invader is probably the closest spec-wise.

Maybe Full Shred with a ceramic?
          Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
            Super Distortion uses a metric gauge of wire (43.5) with a ceramic magnet, brass baseplate and hex screws... the Invader is probably the closest spec-wise.

Maybe Full Shred with a ceramic?

Closest spec wise? What specs? 1 ceramic vs 3? Cap screws vs hex screws? 13.6k vs 16.8k... Tell me which spec are they close in? Besides being humbuckers and available in some of the same colors I dont see much they share.
            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Neither the Invader nor FullShred are very SuperD-like, wouldn't be so sure about 43.5 either.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                Closest spec wise? What specs? 1 ceramic vs 3? Cap screws vs hex screws? 13.6k vs 16.8k... Tell me which spec are they close in? Besides being humbuckers and available in some of the same colors I dont see much they share.
                43.5 gauge wire vs 44 gauge
                ceramic and ceramic
                cap screws and hex screws don't sound all that different.

But I actually think the Full Shred with a ceramic is closer spec-wise (I didn't word the post that well).
                Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

All I know is I played a super d today and It reminded me of my invader

Comment

If you want a Super D, get a Super D.....

Comment

Originally posted by LatsMcGee View Post
                      If you want a Super D, get a Super D.....
                      +1!
                      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I agree with the above 2 posts, and Edgecrusher's previous post.

"I want a Camaro SS. Which Toyata fits the bill?"

Comment

Invader for mega output, Custom 8 for less.

Comment

If you want a Super Distortion then get one.

But if you must, maybe a Custom is a good substitute.
                            http://www.lonephantom.com
                            http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

Here is how I look at it:

Super D - Bass + Mids. More highs than you would think. Lowest of the high outputs on output. Secret weapon: More airy than and open than many believe it to be, depending on the amp settings.

Custom - Bass + Highs. More mids than you would think. Middle of the high outputs on output. Secret weapon: Can cop PAF tones if needed.

Distortion - Mids + Highs. More bass than you would think. Top of the high outputs in output. Secret weapon: Cleans are surprisingly decent.

One of these will do the job. None of them sound like the other for one reason or another. Any two can do most jobs. I personally often have all three on tap. I think that is the best approach.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X