banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried the DMZ Gravity storm yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried the DMZ Gravity storm yet?

Can you compare it to other pickups? What's the tone like? Balanced, bassy, trebly, emphasis or lower mids, or upper mids? etc. I am also reading initial impression as modern take on a lower output Super D. How so? Thanks.

There's a lot of buzz around the neck pickup, but I'm more interested in hearing about the bridge model.

Re: Has anyone tried the DMZ Gravity storm yet?

Nobody answer till we get a better review on the DD/jb hybrid

Comment

I've reviewed both the bridge and neck models on my blog.
      http://www.lonephantom.com
      http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

I haven't but I'll probably own the neck model by Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by metalmachine View Post
          Nobody answer till we get a better review on the DD/jb hybrid
          I knew you'd be lurking behind the shadows.

Been busy my friend, but the review is coming, I'm just in the final legs of testing. Every day after work and dinner, I sit down to jam whatever, but I play close attention to the tone through different gain (and some cleans... I mean how important are cleans anyway on a scorched earth mofo bucker?). I also noticed that the tone changes after a while. By that I mean, when I first combined the coils, the tone is slightly different than after a few days when they have more time to settle and interact, sort of like changing mags take from 2 days or a week to fully impart its signature tone.

I've also tried the slug/slug and screw/screw combination, the latter is sweeter and cleans up nicer, bottom end has more sag and less saturation, the former is very sharp, like EMG meets Dimebucker.

Comment

Originally posted by LonePhantom View Post
            I've reviewed both the bridge and neck models on my blog.
            Wow! Great review, bridge model sounds like combination of Super D and JB.

Comment

Originally posted by lazyfinger View Post
              Can you compare it to other pickups? What's the tone like? Balanced, bassy, trebly, emphasis or lower mids, or upper mids? etc. I am also reading initial impression as modern take on a lower output Super D. How so? Thanks.

There's a lot of buzz around the neck pickup, but I'm more interested in hearing about the bridge model.
              I have these pickups in a mahogany body/maple top guitar and they sound fantastic. Looking at the DMZ yone chart you would think these would be in Super 3 territory but that is not the case. The bridge model has a solid low end but it is not dominating by any means, the mids are very present and make this pickup fairly percussive and crunch very well, the highs are noticeably rolled back and I had to compensate with my amps treble knob.

The bridge model has an A5 magnet and the neck model has a ceramic, the tones from the pickups sounds like it would be the opposite. The bridge is loaded with mids and reminds me of a cross of the Duncan Distortion and Custom, definately a Dimarzio voice as well with the highs sounding Super 3ish and an obvious nod to the Super D without the loose feel you get from that pickup. These pickups have their own voice but contain a few voices from the past as well, how they sound is really up to the player.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlp View Post
                I have these pickups in a mahogany body/maple top guitar and they sound fantastic. Looking at the DMZ yone chart you would think these would be in Super 3 territory but that is not the case. The bridge model has a solid low end but it is not dominating by any means, the mids are very present and make this pickup fairly percussive and crunch very well, the highs are noticeably rolled back and I had to compensate with my amps treble knob.

The bridge model has an A5 magnet and the neck model has a ceramic, the tones from the pickups sounds like it would be the opposite. The bridge is loaded with mids and reminds me of a cross of the Duncan Distortion and Custom, definately a Dimarzio voice as well with the highs sounding Super 3ish and an obvious nod to the Super D without the loose feel you get from that pickup. These pickups have their own voice but contain a few voices from the past as well, how they sound is really up to the player.
                Thanks. That sounds like a really good lead pickup, are the highs rolled back like Custom Custom? It's tighter than Super D, but less tight than Duncan D or Custom?

Comment

Originally posted by lazyfinger View Post
                  Thanks. That sounds like a really good lead pickup, are the highs rolled back like Custom Custom? It's tighter than Super D, but less tight than Duncan D or Custom?
                  I can't remember what CC highs sound like as I have not played one in a while. I would compare the highs to the Super 3, definately darker than the SD. I would say it is not as tight as the Duncan Distortion but not nearly as compressed either. This is my experience with the pickups in my guitar, we all know it could be completely different in your guitar. I am sure the mahogany body/neck of my guitar is skewing the mid content compared to the sound you would get out of this pickup in a Super Strat style guitar with a basswood or alder body and a Floyd style bridge.

Comment

I'm intrigued but I do not own a basswood guitar so I guess If I got a hold of a set I wouldn't get the full effect, they were designed for Vai so they are adjusted to his basswood guitars..

Comment

Originally posted by jimlp View Post
                      I can't remember what CC highs sound like as I have not played one in a while. I would compare the highs to the Super 3, definately darker than the SD. I would say it is not as tight as the Duncan Distortion but not nearly as compressed either. This is my experience with the pickups in my guitar, we all know it could be completely different in your guitar. I am sure the mahogany body/neck of my guitar is skewing the mid content compared to the sound you would get out of this pickup in a Super Strat style guitar with a basswood or alder body and a Floyd style bridge.
                      Mahog LP style guitar is what I'm considering the bridge model for at the moment. How is it compared to a JB in a mahog guitar? I like the JB tone by the way, it just wasn't tight enough for me in the bottom.

Based on this vid below, I like the middiness of the pup:

Comment

bump

Comment

Working...
                        X