Overwound single coil vs humbucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overwound single coil vs humbucker

Same wire, same resistance, same magnet... what would be the tone differences??

Re: Overwound single coil vs humbucker

Apples and oranges. At minimum a humbucker will read more string length and you this has a large effect on the tone. But you could never equalize the differences the closest you can get would be like a stag mag or the rio grande true split series that are 2 singles tied into a humbucker. In single mode they sound very much like classic singles but in humbucker they up the output and get more mids and drive.

If you took like a rio grande muy grande humbucker then one of the singles and you unwound the humbucker until both of the coils matched that of the single it would have a huge detriment on the tone it would become very weak and anemic sounding.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I don't matter of pickups splitting: only full sounding hb and single coil.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco78 View Post
        I don't matter of pickups splitting: only full sounding hb and single coil.
        Its apples and oranges at the very minimum a humbucker will read more string length this changes its harmonic content compared to a single coil. This is why its so hard to make a strat sized single coil sound like a p-90.
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
          Its apples and oranges at the very minimum a humbucker will read more string length this changes its harmonic content compared to a single coil. This is why its so hard to make a strat sized single coil sound like a p-90.
          Ok, so more bass and mids and less high for HB?

Comment

Ok, so more bass and mids and less high for HB?
            There does seem to be some amount of cancellation in the high end when you go the humbucking route.

The rest depends on which position on the guitar your comparing and which extra portion of string length the pickup is reading. Think of it like the changes in sound you hear when you switch from the neck to the bridge pickup only on a smaller scale cause its moving only a few millimeters.

Comment

There does seem to be some amount of cancellation in the high end when you go the humbucking route.

The rest depends on which position on the guitar your comparing and which extra portion of string length the pickup is reading. Think of it like the changes in sound you hear when you switch from the neck to the bridge pickup only on a smaller scale cause its moving only a few millimeters.

Thanks Edge!! Where do you live in Italy? I'm italian...

Comment

Vicenza... no i dont eat cats =P

Comment

Vicenza... no i dont eat cats =P
                  I live in Naples!!

Comment

I live in Naples!!
                    Well if your ever in Veneto or close let me know and we'll knock back a few

Comment

Well if your ever in Veneto or close let me know and we'll knock back a few
                      Yes!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X