banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a Bridge PAF in the neck sound okay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a Bridge PAF in the neck sound okay?

I put a Pearly Gates/ Antiquities hybrid Bridge pickup in the neck of my Flying V. It reads 8.04 resistance. Its sounds great except its a Bassy, but its plenty bright, in a good way.
    I am having trouble finding a bridge pickup to match though. Im about to go to an Invader type pickup , which is something I really dont wanna do in this guitar,for most output, casue all the other high output pickups Ive tried ( Ive tired 5-6 including Brobucker,SuperD,Breed, Custom8/5)just dont match up, which is weird, but I might have to, casuie I really want to keep that neck pickup; it sounds great.
    Now I know Gibson didnt really wind Bridge and Neck specific Humbucker back in the day. From what I know, the PAf's were all over the place in output, and some guitars did have pickups wound full and hotter in the neck, and others less so, and those that happened to have less output generally made for a better sound, or at least a better balance X bridge and neck.
    Anyone shed some light on my situation?
    I might try a real bassy bridge pickup with a lot of output first, and maybe have the Duncan Custom shop wind me something eventually.
    In the meantime I may do the resistance cap in series trick, but I do kind of like that bassy sound of the hot bridge PAF in the neck sometimes.
    Last edited by MetalManiac; 11-04-2012, 01:31 PM.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Re: Can a Bridge PAF in the neck sound okay?

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
    I put a Pearly Gates/ Antiquities hybrid Bridge pickup in the neck of my Flying V. It reads 8.04 resistance. Its sounds great except its Bassy...
    That's why G*d invented calibrated sets of pickups with the neck pickup underwound compared to the bridge pickup.

That said, every bazillion dollar 50's Flying V, Explorer, Les Paul or ES-335 had two identical pickups, each wound like the bridge model in a Duncan 59 set or a Pearly Gates set or Antiquity HB set.

So two bridge humbuckers would be close to what came in all 50's Gibsons with humbuckers. And the pickup in the neck position will sound to bassy, just like it does in those vintage 1950's and 60's guitars.

Modern guitars with calibrated neck and bridge pickups do get a slightly less ballsy tone from the neck pickup when used for soloing. That's the price you pay for a clearer neck pickup tone that doesn't get as muddy as the original 50's and 60's Gibson guitars.

I sort of miss being able to get a soloing sound more exactly like Mike Bloomfield, or Peter Green, or Eric Clapton or Larry Carlton did when they played their 50's Les Pauls and 60's ES-335's. But you can't have everything.
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 11-04-2012, 01:24 PM.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
      I sort of miss being able to get a soloing sound more exactly like Mike Bloomfield, or Peter Green, or Eric Clapton or Larry Carlton did when they played their 50's Les Pauls and 60's ES-335's. But you can't have everything.
      Just get 2 bridge humbuckers.
      Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
      Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
        Just get 2 bridge humbuckers.
        And with it also comes the mud.
        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Put your pickup back in the bridge and put a PG or Slash neck in the neck position.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
            Put your pickup back in the bridge and put a PG or Slash neck in the neck position.
            There you go making sense again.
            "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

How do you have it oriented?

Comment

^Thats a really good question. I might flip the screw coild towards the bridge, after all its a Custom Shop Pealry/Ant hybrid, so can't lose either way I would think, plus I'll get slightly less bass maybe. Gain, the bass isnt the huge issue, I could live with that, in fact, like I mentioned, I sometimes enjoy that..its more finding a bridge pickuip that'll keep up ..all ive tried have sounded anemic in comparison when played clean.
                Last edited by MetalManiac; 11-04-2012, 03:00 PM.

Comment

And with it also comes the mud.
                  But the same thing that wil give you mud will also give you a real nice split neck bucker sound.
                  I've always liked bridge models in the neck for their extra nice splittable sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by KRKBAB View Post
                    But the same thing that wil give you mud will also give tou a real nice split neck bucker sound.
                    I've always like bridge models in the neck for their extra nice splittable sounds.
                    This, but also a good dark jazzy clean middle position sound in H-H guitar.

That's why G*d invented calibrated sets of pickups with the neck pickup underwound compared to the bridge pickup.

That said, every bazillion dollar 50's Flying V, Explorer, Les Paul or ES-335 had two identical pickups, each wound like the bridge model in a Duncan 59 set or a Pearly Gates set or Antiquity HB set.

So two bridge humbuckers would be close to what came in all 50's Gibsons with humbuckers. And the pickup in the neck position will sound to bassy, just like it does in those vintage 1950's and 60's guitars.

Modern guitars with calibrated neck and bridge pickups do get a slightly less ballsy tone from the neck pickup when used for soloing. That's the price you pay for a clearer neck pickup tone that doesn't get as muddy as the original 50's and 60's Gibson guitars.

Good insight. Thanks.

Comment

I've tried the following bridge p'ups in the neck with good results:

* '59b
                      * JazzB
                      * SethB

The best of all is the Seth.

HTH,

Comment

Just re hybrid it, do a magnet swap, change to 300k pots, use mojo caps, clip the screws 1/16 inch shorter, un pot it with a hair dryer and it should be fine...

Bridge PAF's can be find in the necks of many guitars and if you want to use a bridge PAF in the bridge as well you'll have to obtain balance by simply adjusting the heights.

Sink the neck pick rather low (this will also remove some of the bass) and raise the bridge pickup rather high...not stupid high but higher than what might seem normal and you should be pretty close.

I have calibrated pickups in my R8 and un calibrated in both my Moderne and 335...all 3 guitars balance just fine from neck to bridge it's just easier to dial in if the neck pickup is a tad weaker.
                        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

are you jewish

Comment

Originally posted by 0v3nm4n View Post
                            are you jewish
                            WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                              Just re hybrid it, do a magnet swap, change to 300k pots, use mojo caps, clip the screws 1/16 inch shorter, un pot it with a hair dryer and it should be fine...

Bridge PAF's can be find in the necks of many guitars and if you want to use a bridge PAF in the bridge as well you'll have to obtain balance by simply adjusting the heights.

Sink the neck pick rather low (this will also remove some of the bass) and raise the bridge pickup rather high...not stupid high but higher than what might seem normal and you should be pretty close.

I have calibrated pickups in my R8 and un calibrated in both my Moderne and 335...all 3 guitars balance just fine from neck to bridge it's just easier to dial in if the neck pickup is a tad weaker.
                              also try raising the pole pieces up quite a bit after dropping the neck. The way mine is set up, the neck humbucker is slightly above the mounting ring and the pole pieces are raised up above the cover. This should lessen the mud and add definition. On the bridge my pole pieces are pretty much flush with the cover and I just adjust the bridge height to almost match the volume of the neck while getting a good sound in the middle position as well. It just takes some tweaking, you'll have to sit down with your good ol guitar and get to know it for a couple hours..
                              "Time flies like arrows, and fruit flies like bananas."

Comment

Working...
                              X