Parker Nitefly Pickups - Hum-Single-Hum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parker Nitefly Pickups - Hum-Single-Hum

I know that the "Tone Wizard," or "Pickup Picker," will not help with this.

I am thinking about picking up a Nitefly. A friend of mine has one that he wants to trade me for my Edwards Kiko L. guitar. I never play the Edwards and really like the piezo tones on the Parker.

It is an older version (Ver. 4 I think) with the original Dimarzio pickups and the Mono/Stereo switch. The bottom of the pickgaurd says 12-28-2012.

I am thinking about getting a different pickgaurd for humbucker/humbucker setup instead of H-S-S

I'm looking for great cleans and crunchy distortion with over the top harmonics in all positions.
    I think the body is maple and the neck is basswood.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. This guitar is totally different from anything I have used or seen, but it plays really nice and I like the tremolo.

Re: Parker Nitefly Pickups - Hum-Single-Hum

I had a Nightfly for many years. It was an all around backup for me at gigs as it could replace my acoustic or electric in a flash. The neck never moved, regardless of the weather and it sounded pretty good. I hated and I can say strongly enough, HATED the DiMarzio's in that guitar. I eventually ended up replacing the bridge bucker with a Custom, which I wired up to another switch for splitting the coils, although I wish I had made it a series/parallel switch.

The thinner body needed a little extra punch and mids from the bridge pup. An Custom 5 would work great too, in fact I'd probably go that direction if I had to do it again.

For the singles, it's the SSL-5 all the way, RWRP in the middle position.

JT

Comment

Right on, thanks!
      I'm still debating the trade. My guitar is worth a little more and is really well built, but I keep coming back to the tone of the piezo and magnetic pickups together, really nice!

I think the DiMarzio pickups in the guitar are really weak and just don't do anything for me. They just don't seem to have much output, even when they are almost touching the strings.

Comment

I ended up getting the Nitefly for fairly cheap, traded a TSL-60 head and a midi switcher. I only paid $400 for the head.

So......
        I'm gonna try the Custom 5 that is in my Edwards Kiko guitar in the Parker.
        If it's too bright, I have an extra alnico 2 & alnico 8 magnet just waiting for a new home.
        Now I need to figure out what I want for the Edwards.....PATB-2 maybe!

Comment

Post your thoughts once you've got it together. I really liked my Parker, but I've got two Suhr's and a Skermetta'd Strat and the Parker became redundant, so it was sold.

I'm going to order a Custom 5 for a PRS CE24 that I've had for close to 20 years and a Custom for an ESP M-II, so I'm putting some of my money where my pups are too.

JT
          Last edited by Impulse 101; 11-22-2012, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X