Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFS- sound influencing materials?

Hi.
    I've been trying to get some sound sound info on GFS pick-ups.
    Can anybody (with the proper credentials) explain what cheaper materials GFS uses that actually effect the sound compared to the materials better quality pick-ups use (such as Duncans or Bareknuckles)?

And, (if possible) how those materials affect the sound?

I know sound is a very subjective and contentious issue.

Words like "thinner", "harsh", not as "rich"...are all descriptive, but not exactly quantifiable on an objective level.

I understand that certain models of quality pick-ups will always be popular (Duncan 59s, Customs, JBs...Dimarzio Evos, Tone Zones, PafPros...) because of their combined qualities that give them individuality, regardless if the actual materials are the same or not in less expensive pickups.

Re: GFS- sound influencing materials?

GFS doesn't use "cheaper" materials, but the winds are different. It's a matter of taste really. They do use brass baseplates though (which some people here hate), but same goes for DiMarzio. The influence on the sound is questionable. It's all in the wind and the ear. Duncans sound generally richer, brighter yet still warm. It has more to do with winding secrets than with the used materials.

Comment

Originally posted by cokekolev View Post
      GFS doesn't use "cheaper" materials, but the winds are different. It's a matter of taste really. They do use brass baseplates though (which some people here hate), but same goes for DiMarzio. The influence on the sound is questionable. It's all in the wind and the ear. Duncans sound generally richer, brighter yet still warm. It has more to do with winding secrets than with the used materials.
      Winding secrets? sounds mystical or religious.
      Are these secrets found in the Necronomicon, or possibly some advanced Scientology books (for a small fee?).

But seriously, how many ways can there be to winding wire?
      That's a real question btw- not sarcasm.

Comment

GFS pickups have a good variety of styles and I think they are an excellent value. I have tried six different models and I can recommend three of them. The three I didn't like were more of a question of taste than of quality. All three didn't fit my style or the way I was using them.

I have been able to confirm that Artec, GFS, Kent Armstrong and Sky oem pickups are all produced using the same materials. The bobbins on GFS and Kent Armstrong pickups are either labeled Artec or Sky. They might be produced by the same manufacturer using the same machines? However I can't confirm that 100%. I have seen a bunch of other imports on eBay that are branded under different names, but it is fairly easy to track who produced them because they look the same, they have the same specs and their product codes are all the same no matter how they are branded. When you have 10 brnads all with pickups with stock numbers of HPAN-323 it's not hard to figure out who produced them whether they are labeled as Artec, Kent Armstrong or Sky. The materials and processes used to produce pickups are pretty similar, however I believe that Dimarzio and Duncan have a greater devotion to detail.
        Last edited by idsnowdog; 11-10-2012, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
          GFS pickups have a good variety of styles and I think they are an excellent value. I have tried six different models and I can recommend three of them. The three I didn't like were more of a question of taste than of quality. All three didn't fit my style or the way I was using them.

I have been able to confirm that Artec, GFS, Kent Armstrong and Sky oem pickups are all produced using the same materials. The bobbins on GFS and Kent Armstrong pickups are either labeled Artec or Sky. They might be produced by the same manufacturer using the same machines? However I can't confirm that 100%. I have seen a bunch of other imports on eBay that are branded under different names, but it is fairly easy to track who produced them because they look the same, they have the same specs and their product codes are all the same no matter how they are branded. When you have 10 brnads all with pickups with stock numbers of HPAN-323 it's not hard to figure out who produced them whether they are labeled as Artec, Kent Armstrong or Sky. The materials and processes used to produce pickups are pretty similar, however I believe that Dimarzio and Duncan have a greater devotion to detail.
          The thing with GFS is that Jay Abend and crew design the specs of each pickup model. Sure, there are some that may look the same but may not sound the same. They're probably made on the same machines using the same raw parts but the winds are different. And then there's pickups like the Boston Blues that have that blue magnet wire, which I don't think we've seen elsewhere, and they have the Retrotrons and other oddball pickups like that, which aren't common with the other brands.
          Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
            The thing with GFS is that Jay Abend and crew design the specs of each pickup model. Sure, there are some that may look the same but may not sound the same. They're probably made on the same machines using the same raw parts but the winds are different. And then there's pickups like the Boston Blues that have that blue magnet wire, which I don't think we've seen elsewhere, and they have the Retrotrons and other oddball pickups like that, which aren't common with the other brands.
            GFS does have different specs, but I suspect many of the materials are the same. As for the GFS Retrotron's even they share common materials and are cosmetically similar to Daehung pickups.

Comment

Working...
            X