No announcement yet.

Diff tween a RTM custom shop and JB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Diff tween a RTM custom shop and JB?

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
    yep, they did/were.

the JB should be able to handle just about any 80s/90s hard-rock pop-metal tone along those lines.

is your SoCal a solidbody or does it have a pickguard? also, have you made any other mods to it, like a brass block? if the FR on those SoCal models an OFR or a Korean version?
    Let me ask you a question... is the rtm brighter than the super distortion? I have a charvel usa so cal with a super distortion and I want a bit more bite. Will the rtm do that?

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
      Let me ask you a question... is the rtm brighter than the super distortion? I have a charvel usa so cal with a super distortion and I want a bit more bite. Will the rtm do that?

sorry dude, I've never tried a Super Distortion.

but strictly from the impressions I have of it from the guys I've heard that use it, I'd imagine it has more bite than the stock RTM. put an UOA5 in the RTM in an alder guitar and I think you be about there, but I'd still be prone to lean toward the Super Distortion.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Hard ash body and a maple neck plus an rtm. Good or bad idea? And do you have any info on the super V? Why the rtm over super v or vice versa.

Comment

I think it was a guy names James that was there with MJ when I bought my first RTM. he was the one that told me that the RTM works best in a bright guitar. and I have to agree with him. I put my first one in a maple body with maple neck and ebony board and it's awesome in that one. the 2nd one went into the same, but had a rosewood neck, and it's awesome there. when I tried one in alder with maple board/neck, it seemed to a little tamer, to which the UOA5 resolved that. I've read that some ash can be bright where some may not. I'd imagine if you went with e definite bright ash, you're golden.

never tried a Super V. I did talk with Lynch about it when he was testing it on the road and I gathered from him that he went for a lower output pickup with a vintage vibe and let the amp do the heavy lifting. if I remember, he definitely had one in that ESP Super V guitar and I think he had one in at least one of the signature models he had with him...the Kami or the Bones, I don't remember which. looking at the specs between the two, it'd almost appear that they could be quite similar, but from the guy's own mouth, the Super V is more of a moderate output. so as for the tone between the two, I cannot speak to the Super V, as I've not played one in my own rig.

Comment

It just hit me like a brick to the head.. I ordered the mags from linky posted above. Is there gonna be a difference for trem spaced pickups??
            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
              It just hit me like a brick to the head.. I ordered the mags from linky posted above. Is there gonna be a difference for trem spaced pickups??
              nah. you're good.

Comment

whew! thanks! Cant wait to see if I like it in the jb..
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Got my UOa5 mags in the mail today.. gonna be some tone shaping going down in the next day or so..

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                    Got my UOa5 mags in the mail today.. gonna be some tone shaping going down in the next day or so..
                    Will be interested to hear your impressions!

Comment

another vote for the JB with the UOA5 mag swap, 51501984 turned me onto these and he was right it takes the JB to a place where you wont want to go back to stock. it reminded me of sending it to MJ to tweak like a custom shop JB model. if you could make a pickuo that was 50% jb and 50% custom-custom thats the tone of these.
                      it adds a little bit of the alncio II character and for me the bass was smoother. it is one of those pickups that just works perfect with this magnet.
                      Excellent deals with,
                      Frank falbo,Rockstarnick,SrDeMaFp,Joyouswolf,SFW,gpengui ns
                      Jacksontrader,Latsmcgee,IndySG,Ghostmaker,
                      slaveunit,atreidesheir,appar111,ex-250,dominus,
                      guitarkingdomworks,appar111,ginoames,chickencoop,
                      51501984,guitarfreak,notesfield,raybarbeemusic,
                      king izzo,Tone scavenger,Heem6,Checo,metalmachine,MetLking

Comment

doing the mag swap in a few min

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                        X