Pickup Surgery Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Surgery Questions

Reading about swapping magnets and my lack of funds lead to my purchase of a few magnets to give this a try. From Addiction FX I received, very promptly, 2each of A2, A3, A4, A5 and UOA5.
    First try is with a Carvin C22T, their version of a semi-PAF type with an A5 magnet. First question is about the length. Their magnet is shorter by 1/4". Will the longer magnet I have work? What kind of changes should I expect using a longer magnet? Should I, could I cut it down to the same length?
    And it was glued together. What do you suggest I use to glue it back together? Contact cement, a little super-glue, silicone?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

"I stand before you today, trying to find a new way,
    looking for a better day, that is all I have to say", quoting William Robertson.

Re: Pickup Surgery Questions

whatever you do, don't cut it.

are you sure it's glue and not wax?

Comment

Some magnets are a little shorter than others. I think there are two standard sizes. I know Gibson T-Tops used short magnets and an A5 I just pulled out of a 498T was short. Duncan seems to use the longer magnets. A shorter magnet might have some tonal impact, but probably not a whole lot. As long as it fits in the pickup, it'll work.

I'm not sure what you mean by glue. Most pickups these days are wax potted and you usually have to break a little bit of wax to get the magnet off of the baseplate or the bobbins. Sometimes they'll be epoxy potted, but those are usually cheaper pickups. Yours was most likely wax potted, so you can reasseble the pickup and heat it with a hairdryer to reflow the wax and it should be good. You might not even need to do that. A lot of guys don't have any issues with post-magswapped pickups that haven't been heated up again.

Comment

Definitely DON'T glue!! It was wax.

No need to rewax or heat. Just replace the magnet and you're good to go.

There is very little difference in tone between the shorter and long amgs. I've heard that the short mag will give less attack, slightly softer highs, but my ears can't tell the difference.

Again, just put the new mag in, tighten the screws and go for it.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
        X