The usual "Which pickup"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The usual "Which pickup"

This is my first post here, first day here, and let me start off by saying that this is probably the BEST forum ever. I have been a long time lurk admiring this forum and I figured why not join? well...here I am, hopefully we'll all be like this within no time

So I just finished re-finishing my jackson WRMG. so before I put it back together, I need pickups. I've been so indecisive so any help is appreciated. I'm looking for something that will get me in the world of Progressive metal like early DT and fusion-ish tones. I need a neck and bridge so I was thinking of a DD or FS in the bridge, since I already have a JB in my strat. for the neck I only got the FS in mind. any help is appreciated! thanks again guys! *EDIT* forgot to mention its an alder body, and I have an all maple neck with a floyd...silly me
    Last edited by Herschel Riffs; 11-13-2012, 04:12 PM. Reason: forgot info

Re: The usual "Which pickup"

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not too familiar with that guitar configuration (yet) but most won't recommend the full shred bridge as it may be to bright and lacking bass. Many love the DD, but it's feisty, may not be the sound you want. Dimarzio has more pickups for this sound I think. But as far as duncans go, maybe a Custom. The full shred neck is probably cool though.

Other, more knowledgeable voices will come along to provide further details and suggestions.

Comment

yeah, if you're going for Dream Theater-type tones, Petrucci's always been a Dimarzio man I believe... I think before the Crunch Lab/Liquifire combo, he had a D-sonic/Air Norton maybe? and earlier than that, I think he did a Tone Zone/Humbucker from Hell combo, but I'm not a terribly huge petrucci follower, so I'm not sure...

either way, you're looking for something with a fat/warm, lower-mid focus, and that's much more of Dimarzio's area of expertise. And I'd have to agree, that the Custom (and it's variants) is probably the closest Duncan has for that as far as I know...
      MASSIVE PICKUP SHOOTOUT - Duncan, Dimarzio, EMG, Bare Knuckle Pickups, Gibson, Bill Lawrence, magnet swaps, and more!

Souncloud: https://soundcloud.com/oblique63/

Comment

However, a Distortion with an A2 gives amazing fat, warm, lower mid tones to die for.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by oblique63 View Post
          yeah, if you're going for Dream Theater-type tones, Petrucci's always been a Dimarzio man I believe... I think before the Crunch Lab/Liquifire combo, he had a D-sonic/Air Norton maybe? and earlier than that, I think he did a Tone Zone/Humbucker from Hell combo, but I'm not a terribly huge petrucci follower, so I'm not sure...

either way, you're looking for something with a fat/warm, lower-mid focus, and that's much more of Dimarzio's area of expertise. And I'd have to agree, that the Custom (and it's variants) is probably the closest Duncan has for that as far as I know...
          Petrucci used the Steve's Special as well along with Air Norton I think. "A Change of Seasons" is an example of the Steve's Special(?).
          Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

Originally posted by oblique63 View Post

The tone zone and basswood body is a nice combo, but the screamin demon can cover those tones without much trouble. I'm not as familiar with his newer stuff, so I can't comment on that.

Comment

I have basically the same tone ideal as you. I've been through a few pickups to try achieve that.
              I think you need to decide if your guitar is on the brighter side acoustically.
              Full Shred bridge and neck wonders with a somewhat dull sounding guitar I have. The bridge might shrill/cold in a bright guitar though. The neck is very articulate And clear but uanforgiving.
              In a mahogany guitar with H-H which is kind of dark sounding I use the DiMarzio D-Activator set. Works well ...
              I like clear, articulate pickups but not shrill, both mentioned above will do that, but only in the right guitar. If your Jackson is bright I would look at for example Crunch Lab, D-sonic, DD or something along those lines...
              Rek Custom Guitar (Duncan Full Shred set)
              Peavey Vandenberg Ed.2 (Tom Anderson HN3, DiMarzio Chopper)
              Peavey Vandenberg Custom Quilt Top (Stock pickups)

Comment

Originally posted by Metalblaze View Post
                Petrucci used the Steve's Special as well along with Air Norton I think. "A Change of Seasons" is an example of the Steve's Special(?).
                A Change of Seasons is also largely played on a 7-string, originally a basswood body I'd imagine.

I'll definitely second the CrunchLab/Liquifire, unless you have something against Dimarzio. What's really going to get you to that place is the right tube amp.
                SBMM JP70 "Shadow" - ESP Horizon "Violet" - Charvel Model 5 "Cherry" - Ibanez S570 "Beast" - Ibanez RG470 "Penny" - Ibanez RG4Ex1 "Azure" - Fender Strat "Candy"
                Mi Familia

Comment

looks like I should refrain from being a brand whore it seems lol but yea you guys are right on the money with all those dimarzios. though petrucci has never used an alder bodied guitar (the musicmans that had alder most likely had a mahagony tone block) I think you guys are reminding me that I should go with what I know will work. Anyone have any experience with the steves special? I've always been interested in this bad boy but I'm not sure if it'll perform as well as say the crunch lab or D-sonic. thanks again guys!

Comment

Full shred bridge isn't too bright or too lacking in bass. It does lack a huge mid hump. Full Shred neck is an excellent choice for a non-muddy neck pickup if you're going with a full sized bucker. For bridge, there are a lot of possibilities.

Comment

so far I think I'm sticking with the full shred neck, unless I get an air norton or liquifire. the bridge is whats killing me lol. I hear mixed reviews about the DD being bright and fizzy. I know lynch used one in a maple super strat and Ron Jarzombek used them as well until recently switching to an EVO. Blah keep the suggestions coming guys

Comment

Originally posted by Herschel Riffs View Post
                        looks like I should refrain from being a brand whore it seems lol but yea you guys are right on the money with all those dimarzios. though petrucci has never used an alder bodied guitar (the musicmans that had alder most likely had a mahagony tone block) I think you guys are reminding me that I should go with what I know will work. Anyone have any experience with the steves special? I've always been interested in this bad boy but I'm not sure if it'll perform as well as say the crunch lab or D-sonic. thanks again guys!
                        I had the Steve's Special in my basswood RG. It's just a bit scooped and very tight. Sharp and cutting in a good way and the distortion "grain" is kind of that of Steve Vai. It tracks high speed solos extremely well and what I noticed was that it keeps the notes played separate from each other no matter how fast you play. I play solos without a pick which most times sounds fluid and blends notes together (which I don't like), but this pickup keeps the notes separated, plus it has great string to string clarity. In my RG straight into a Valvestate 100 it sounded huge, very heavy stuff, I mean the palm mutes where shaking the studio. Great for heavy/thrash etc. The downside (at least for me) is that it's a bit 2D sounding. It's too dense with no air, like a block of concrete. But that is what many players like (eg J. Hetfield etc).
                        Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

You're right about the DD being bright and fizzy. Put in a UOA5 or an A2(my favorite)...problem solved!
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                          X