First Custom Shop Pickups!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Custom Shop Pickups!

I purchased a new set of SD Custom Shop pickups on eBay from somebody that changed their mind in between placing the order and receiving the pickups. They stated that the changed their mind on the bridge type and needed regular spacing instead of trem-spaced. Regardless the pickups appear to be something I have been wanting for a while.

Basically they are EVH type, with standard legs, 4 conductor, and AII magnets. Bridge is a TB.

This is where it gets a little interesting. The receipt says "SWD Custom-Set of EVH WOlfgang (newest Fender version) HB's". The box clear states AII mags 8.6k on neck and 14.7k on the bridge. So the specs appear to be different then the Wolfgang pickups which I have heard are ceramic mags and the neck appears to have a very different resistance. I am OK with all of this because the spec are very much to my desire. In fact I kind of feel that these are the perfect specs for what I want. But why the changes in mag and resistance if they are supposed to be the "Wolfgang Newest Fender Version"? This could just be MJ's attempt to avoid copyright aggreements or more of a Franenstien set.

Any thoughts?

Re: First Custom Shop Pickups!

Not Wolfgang but Frankenstein.

Nice pups BTW... I mean, REALLY nice.
    Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Received, Installed, Went to Heaven. Abolutely perfect for want I wanted and needed. These went into a Ibanez S570 indo body with ZR trem and a Prestige neck. The Prestige neck was a huge improvement over the stock indo neck and I loved to play the guitar, however I have struggled with finding the right pickups. I have several Japanese Sabers and all are great but this one has been a bit of a struggle. I think the thin body combined with all the routing required for the ZR and it's little bitty sustain block just makes it difficult to get a nice thick tone. I had a Custom Custom in it for while and it was pretty good but I needed that pup for something else. I went through about 10 different pickups and there just wasn't any magic.

Well Abara-F&%king-Cadabara. Thick, articulate tone with a bit of fuzz on the bottom end and harmonics that come through like a frieght train. Perfect. T

Comment

Congrats.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
        X