Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez S470 (2008) wiring diagram SH-1 - STK-S2 - SH-4

Co's,

I would like to replace my Ibanez S470 pickups. (HSH)

SH-1 '59 in the neck position
    STK-S4 Classic Stack Plus in the middle
    SH-4 in the bridge.

I would like to switch like it is now with the INF's.

Position 1 - Neck, position 2 Neck splitted and single coil, position 3 only the single, 4 the bridge splitted with the single and 5 the bridge.

I have found some wiring diagrams in this forum but after reading them I'm a bit confused on how it should be wired correctly.

I'm hoping now them somebody can help me to collect the correct info to implement my pickup replacement project correctly.
    Maybe I can hope that somebody has done it on his S470 and can help me to get a correct wiring diagram.

Many thanks in advance and kind regards,

Stijn
    Belgium

Re: Ibanez S470 (2008) wiring diagram SH-1 - STK-S2 - SH-4

Check Dimarzio sites for the Ibanez wiring diagrams. Make sure you get the diagram with the right 5 way switch as their are several. You will need to look at your switch to identify the model. The look up the Pickup Wire Color Code chart a transpose the wire code as DImarzio, the INF's and Seymours are all different.

Also, if you have not ordered the pickups you will want to get the Trembucker versions for the bridge at least (i.e. TB-4 instead of SH-4). I am pretty sure that that ibanez also has trembuckers in the neck but that is not critical. All of them will work but pole spacing well be better on the trembucker for you tremolo equiped S470.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your reply. I really appreciate!!

I already managed to install the SH-N 59 in the neck position. No split function with this PU, so that was easy. And what a difference of sound ... :-)

Tomorrow I will contact the store and hopefully i can change the SH-4 in a TB-4. I measured the spacing and indeed, i need the trembucker version.

The STK-S4 will be more difficult as i can't find a wiring diagram matching my case. Also 4 wires and no clue which one is the hot, the split or the ground (ground probably black and bare)

Thanks again!

Comment

if you want to split the bridge with the single coil you may be able that with your switch but I would need to look into that. The STK is four wire and is hum canceling on its own and is really wired just like a humbucker. So if you are not going to split the bridge you could just solder the white a red together. Then the Black and green would be just like a standard single coil hookup. If I get time I will find a diagram. Have you figured out which switch you have?

Comment

Originally posted by Fly_with_v View Post
          I am pretty sure that that ibanez also has trembuckers in the neck but that is not critical.
          Not necessary unless your string spacing at the neck is over 5.5cm or so, which I don't think any Ibanez guitars have. So, a regular spaced neck pu will do.

The five way switch of the Ibanez works the same way as a CRL type, except that the terminals are in a line, whereas with a CRL, it's 4/4.

Treat the stack pu same as humbucker. So black is hot, green/bare are ground, red/white are split. For your purposes black goes to switch, solder red/white together and tape them off, and green/bare go to ground.

Diagram. So to wire the Duncans: Ibanez red = Duncan black; Ibanez white = Duncan red/white together; Ibanez bare = Duncan green/bare together. That's correct, I think...
          Last edited by Ashurbanipal; 11-16-2012, 07:04 PM.
          Originally posted by dominus
          Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

I also had to carve out some of the middle pickup cavity to fit a Dimarzio single coil in there. Too tight and shallow.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
              I also had to carve out some of the middle pickup cavity to fit a Dimarzio single coil in there. Too tight and shallow.
              yea my RG has a narrow slot for the single coil
              Dimarzio makes a "lip-less" version of their rail pickups chopper I think
              Banjo-mikes has them on his site
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Co's,
                Thanks for follow up!
                I found the diagram above but on my ibby the red and white are switched.
                It's like this picture that i've found on the internet:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch_Wiring.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	5763299

I have made a picture of my original switch connections. On the right the original connections, on the left it starts to have the new SD connections.

Name:	Shema.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	5763300

The switch i have is somthing like this. Also with "5P" on it but with a "3" instead of a "4".

Name:	5waySwitch_5P.jpg
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	5763301

This afternoon i start with the STK-S4.
                And as Ashurbinal said it might be not necessary to change to Trembucker spacing. Then i can keep the SH-4 JB
                Grtz,
                Stijn

Comment

Measured it.
                  The spacing on the INF2 (bridge) is 5,3 cm
                  The Duncan SH-4 is 4,9 cm
                  Not needed then to change to TB? Will it make a big difference? I have a good connection with our store, so probably no problem to change them.
                  But i heard so many great things about the SH-4 ...

Comment

my pictures I should blush
                    but yea the TB would line up better with the strings
                    I dont think it makes much difference in the sound
                    but aesthetically it looks better

if i remember correctly the whites are the hot on the INFs
                    and the red is the split
                    so put the duncan black where the INF white is
                    put the duncan red/white pair where the INF red is
                    and duncan ground gooes where that thick black wire does (back of the volume pot)
                    EHD

Comment

^^ Yeah, your fame waxes. I think some still have red as hot; the ones I've had (Powersound, 80s IBZ, INF1-2) did/do.

I was talking about the neck pu not needing to be trem spaced .

Anyway, I'd try the pu you have, and if you don't have drastically low ouput on the outer strings, it should be ok. I don't find this an issue on my HSS guitar, where the high E barely catches the pole of the neck pu (seen it on a lot of Strats too, single coils made only per one spacing measure, so bridge and middle line up fine, but neck less good).
                      Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Thanks to you guys it's clear now how to attach the humbuckers.
                        Just some doubts about the middle SD STK-S4 single coil.

4 wires there, White, Black, Red and bare (ground)

Just need to translate them to this schema

Views:	2
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	5763303

When i'm not wrong Black and Bare soldered to the ground.

So White and Red left.

Do i twist them together to solder them to the old"white from middle" in the picture above?
                        I think i can split then with the bridge PU. But not sure about that hum-cancelling thing.
                        Not sure that i need it. I was thinking that it's only on a Strat with 3 single coils.

Comment

Ok, made a mistake in my previous comment re. the stack. White goes to switch, red taped off, black/bare to ground, like so:
                          Attached Files

Comment

The STK-S4 doesn't want to work.

Tried the several combinations as described in the posts.

White from Duncan where the INF white was, red taped of and black and bare to ground.
                            Black from Duncan where the INF White was, white and red from duncan soldered together and taped off and bare to ground.

None of them works. The bridge and neck are working.
                            The STK-S4 has no green wire. Only Black, Red, White and bare.

This is what i have currently

Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	5763354

Comment

no no no

put the duncan black to where the INF White is
                              put the duncan red/white pair to where the INF Red is
                              put the duncan green/Bare to where the INF big black wire is
                              (the big black part is shrink tubing and goes to ground, ie the back of the volume pot)

those are my pictures and how my guitar was wired

like your diagram for the neck

wire the middle
                              duncan black to terminal 3
                              solder the red/white pair together and tape them off
                              green and bare to ground

edit
                              it seems the diagrams show
                              the white to the switch
                              black and bare to ground
                              and red taped off

if you have it connected this way now then
                              set an multi meter to ohms
                              set the guitar to middle single
                              then insert a cable into the guitars jack
                              test tip of cable to the bridge of the guitar
                              this should be the resistance of the pickup coils

post the result or lack of
                              please
                              Last edited by ehdwuld; 11-19-2012, 12:53 AM. Reason: edit
                              EHD

Comment

Working...
                              X