banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back up/ second guitar pickup contrast...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back up/ second guitar pickup contrast...?

Ok, what would you do? I have a Charvel So Cal.. running SD Jazz/JB now. Im going to try a diff mag and depending on how the U0a05 (or whatever its labeled) works out, I may changet the bridge to a RTM or 59/c hybrid.

Now if you have a Charvel San Dimas, what would you run? Im Thinking either AIIpro neck and C8 bridge, Maybe distortion bridge . Any other suggestions? My experience with neck pups is VERY limited.
    I have used, 59, 59b, Jazz, AIIp and just a few others. I very commonly run 59b models in the neck. So, open to ideas.. But really curious on the bridge. I want something that could be used as a backup meaning I dont want to have to completely reconfigure amp settings if I have to switch, but Id like enough contrast to warrant 2 diff guitars.. Dig?
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Back up/ second guitar pickup contrast...?

Bridge = Dist with A2,
    Neck = Demon.

It will sound warmer and fuller and smoother than your other guitar, but similar enough that you won't need to change any settings and still get great sound.
    Last edited by GuitarDoc; 11-17-2012, 08:24 AM.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I'm not sure of the differences in your the guitars, but I have taken my no.1 to the music store and a/b'd it with the one on layaway. They have the same pickups (Duncan Designed HB-102), same woods (mahoghany w/maple cap & rosewood board), same construction (set neck). The difference is no.1 is 2 vol. 1 tone and 24.75" scale, no.2 is 1 vol. 1 tone and 25.5" scale. These are subtle differences but they do sound different although not enough to have to change amp settings.
      I want more me in my tone.

Comment

I'm a firm believer in having a back-up guitar that doesn't sound just like the first one. I make few, if any, changes to the amp's EQ. If you're playing several hours at a gig, you should have some variety in tones, and the different feel of two guitars will make your playing a little different too. Any good band has an assortment of songs (fast slow, loud, soft, etc), and that's where it's nice to switch guitars. Keeps it interesting and fresh. You don't want the same tone all night no matter what's going on.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

yeah, I want to go different but not like Seth and Distortion different. Im thinking like RTM or JB UAO5 in one and Custom8 in one or even distortion in one.
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

It's interesting because when I used to gig, I would always run with 2 entirely different guitars. I'd have a sunburst Les Paul and a blackie Strat and play everything on our set-list based on mood. They'd serve as backups to one another. TBH, I never had an audience member come up and say, "Hey you know that song you did was great, but you really should've used the Les Paul instead of the Strat."

And it's a tough call because the Jazz/JB set sounds so damn good in those Charvels.

My thinking is, if it sounds awesome, I wouldn't change a damn thing. But if you wanted something still awesome to spice things up a bit, I'd throw something completely different into the mix. Maybe a DiMarzio Air Norton/Tone Zone set. If you're that sensitive to your amp settings, I'd suggest just jotting down the numbers for a quick tune-up between songs. But I really doubt it's a necessity. The same settings may work across both guitars.
            AccountKiller

Comment

I have my EQ and boost set so I can use my strat to get close to a les paul or vice versa. I really like having two guitars that sound very different, but also have the ability to get close to the tones of the other guitar in an emergency. So that would be my suggestion, get something that sounds different, but can be boosted or cut to match what you have now.
              Last edited by chadd; 11-18-2012, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Good info! Thanks!

one has a Jazz neck and the other a 59. I think Im going to try a RTM in the bridge of one and a 59/c hybrid in the other. prolly the hybrid in the one with the 59 neck.
                Anyone know if the hybrid works better in a direct mount or pickguard guitar?

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                X