Magnet Swapping Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnet Swapping Question

I have an A5 humbucker that's too shrill and piercing. So I swapped the magnet for a rough cast A2. It's better, but not quite where I want it to be. The highs are smoother and the mids are more prevalent. If I want the highs even more rounded, what's the next step? The original magnet was 1/4" shorter than the new one. Will shortening it help? Is there a way I can make the new A2 a little weaker?

Re: Magnet Swapping Question

You weaken the magnet by putting it in close proximity to a stronger magnet. If you have a strong ceramic mag around, you can use that.
    First, get a feel for the current strength of the magnet by putting in on a metal object & feeling the grip- refrigerators & toolboxes are ideal. Bring it close to the pickup mag until they start to repel, and run it the length of the magnet. Try it against the fridge & see how much it changed; repeat as necessary, bringing them closer together if needed. Try not to overdo it, as you won't be able to recharge the pickup mag with what you have if you go too far.

Comment

A2's are pretty weak to begin with, and RC A2's are as warm as it gets. From the degauss advice above, you're just as likely to over-degauss it and have a useless magnet. If you want less highs, use a 250K pot or two.
      Last edited by blueman335; 11-18-2012, 07:54 AM.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Change the pot to 250K, or you could even half air the pickup. That might soften everything enough to get it right for you.
        http://www.lonephantom.com
        http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

Originally posted by ajeffcote View Post
          I have an A5 humbucker that's too shrill and piercing. So I swapped the magnet for a rough cast A2. It's better, but not quite where I want it to be. The highs are smoother and the mids are more prevalent. If I want the highs even more rounded, what's the next step? The original magnet was 1/4" shorter than the new one. Will shortening it help? Is there a way I can make the new A2 a little weaker?
          Did you measure the actual value of the pots you're using?

If they're both 500K, try changing'em to 300K or even 250K. And put a chrome or nickel cover on.

Last, but not least, use the Tone control. An often overlooked feature among younger and inexperienced players alike.

Having said that, I just can't imagine an A2 p'up being too bright... what p'up are we talking 'bout here? Some asian p'ups are just not worth trying any mod, as they're so BAD to start with, that you just can't do anything worth doing.

HTH,
          Last edited by LtKojak; 11-18-2012, 03:13 AM.

Comment

If you went from A5 to A2 and you still find a pickup too bright you need to look somewhere other than the magnet. Changing the pots might do it. But I got the sneaking suspicion that you just flat out need to get a different pickup and start with a wind that suits your taste.
            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

OK. I'll try weakening the mag a bit, I have others if I ruin it.
              The volume pot measures very close to 500K, and the tone pot is about 450K. I'll try a 250K tone pot first. Then the 250K for the volume.
              The pickup in quetion is a Carvin C22T. I have a new set of SD '59s sitting on my work bench, with covers so that will be the next step if I can't get the Carvin where I want it.
              The only reservation about the '59s is that they are single conductor equipped. I like to split and phase reverse on this guitar.
              That brings the next question. I have never done any pickup winding and I wonder how difficult it would be to change those '59s to 4 conductor wiring?

Comment

Changing to 4 cond. is a delicate proceedure, but if you are up to the task, it certainly can be done. After you take the cover off and remove the tape, you'll see two wires that are taped together (these are equivalent to the red and white wires). Separate those wires and add an extension wire to each and you'll have your 4 condutors.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

If my memory is serving me right the C22T is a god awful bright pickup.
                  "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                  you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

You know, you'd be better off trying the simplest things first...

First just use your tone control to reduce the high edge to your liking (or change your amp's EQ...reduce the treble and presence and increase lows and/or mids),

Then consider a change of both of your pots (not just your tone pot) to 250k and see what that does.

Forget about wiring your pup to 4 cond. unless one or both of the previous changes gives you the tone you want. If you don't get a tone you want from adjusting your EQ or changing your pots, you need a different pup, like Edgecrusher suggested.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

As for the switch to 4 conductor, it's just something I want to do, not related to the problem at hand. EQ of guitar and amp, first thing done. I use the guitar controls a lot in my playing anyway. I'll try the 250K pots next, but if that doesn't work for me I think a new set of pickups is in order. The '59s I mentioned are new, I can still return them for exchange or refund. Since they are an A5 design, I'm kind of afraid they may be too bright in this guitar.
                      That has me thinking about an Antiquity set. Or possibly a custom wind.

Comment

Working...
                      X