Magnets and dynamic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnets and dynamic

I have read on some thread that the magnets have different dynamics, so does the same pickups with different magnets have different dynamic?

Re: Magnets and dynamic

The dynamic of a p'up is set by the magnetic circuit created by the interaction between magnet, baseplate, keeper, slugs, screws and the physical contact of the magnet with the keeper and the slugs.

Changing any of this components will have an effect of the dynamic.

HTH,

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
      The dynamic of a p'up is set by the magnetic circuit created by the interaction between magnet, baseplate, keeper, slugs, screws and the physical contact of the magnet with the keeper and the slugs.

Changing any of this components will have an effect of the dynamic.

HTH,
      So, what are the differences between classic magnets?

Comment

Very different dynamics IMO...just try swapping mags in a JB and see how much a simple mag swap manipulates the tone in that pup

Comment

Ok, but what is the more dynamic magnet? and the less dynamic?

Comment

Originally posted by Marco78 View Post
            Ok, but what is the more dynamic magnet? and the less dynamic?
            A2's and UOA5's have earthy, organic dynamics, a more complex sound. That doesn't necessarily work for every genre, especially when high gain is involved. Ceramics probably have the least of any magnet. Active PU's have even less, due to the fewer windings. Change magnets and you change a PU's EQ, dynamics, and often it's output. Use that to your advantage to dial in the tones you want for bridge and neck PU's. That's where the fun begins.
            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
              A2's and UOA5's have earthy, organic dynamics, a more complex sound. That doesn't necessarily work for every genre, especially when high gain is involved. Ceramics probably have the least of any magnet. Active PU's have even less, due to the fewer windings. Change magnets and you change a PU's EQ, dynamics, and often it's output. Use that to your advantage to dial in the tones you want for bridge and neck PU's. That's where the fun begins.
              This man speaks truth. The lower power alnico magnets will generally have a responsive dynamic, like playing with an elastic band. There is some "give" that feels good and works for many styles of music. Like boxing gloves, they appear soft if you're only playing gently, but in a real fight, there is a lot of contact as the added surface area beats your face real good. This ability to go from soft to hard equates to a good dynamic range.

Ceramic is just all loud, all the time and this pummels the front end of your amp, causing it to compress more and your sound appears LESS dynamic. This would be more like fighting bare fists. You get cut and it's pretty ugly. Not much dynamic range here -it hurts even if you're hit softly.

Hope my analogy isn't too lame. This stuff is kind of hard to put into words because you hear it right away in person!
              Last edited by Natman; 11-19-2012, 10:31 AM.

Comment

The way I see it ceramics are more compressed, at least when behind PAF style polepieces.

The Alnicos are all uncompressed. A8 is noticeably louder but I would say it has different dynamics.

Comment

Ugh I really need to pull the trigger on the unoriented ceramic and see how it compares to A8's/ceramics, and if the dynamics are similar to other UO mags.

Comment

Originally posted by Natman View Post
                    This man speaks truth. The lower power alnico magnets will generally have a responsive dynamic, like playing with an elastic band. There is some "give" that feels good and works for many styles of music. Like boxing gloves, they appear soft if you're only playing gently, but in a real fight, there is a lot of contact as the added surface area beats your face real good.

Ceramic is just all loud, all the time and this pummels the front end of your amp, causing it to compress more and your sound appears LESS dynamic. This would be more like fighting bare fists. You get cut and it's pretty ugly.

Hope my analogy isn't too lame. This stuff is kind of hard to put into words because you hear it right away in person!
                    Actually, great analogies.
                    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
                    X