banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My new CUSTOM SHOP DUNCAN video comparison is up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new CUSTOM SHOP DUNCAN video comparison is up!

Ok everyone, my video comparison between my DD Sh6 vs my SD Custom Shop 'Tyrannotitan' humbucker is up!!!

See what you think of my new humbucker.

Specs:
    Ceramic magnet
    Sh6 wind
    12 Screw poles

MJ hasent let me know what wire gauge or wire type she used, but I love it, and its exactly what I wanted, more GROWL/ROAR in the mids, and more clarity!!!!!!!

Last edited by Dark Order Lord; 11-18-2012, 07:59 AM.
    DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Re: My new CUSTOM SHOP DUNCAN video comparison is up!

Bump....
    DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

Comment

Nice comparison. the Tyranno does sound fuller and crunchier. More hi-fi, for lack of a better way of putting it.

But what confuses me is that your stock DD measures 15.2k. That's really low. The Tone Chart says the SH-6 is supposed to measure about 16.6k.

Comment

They always seem to be a bit lower than than the specs online, but that never really bothered me...

sigpic

Comment

Custom shop sounds brighter to me, I'd like to hear it in some lower tunings if you ever get the chance.....
          AWESOME MAN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Order Lord View Post
            They always seem to be a bit lower than than the specs online, but that never really bothered me...
            very strange. When I had a DD it was 16.5k. I can understand +/- 0.2 or 0.3 kohms, but 15.2 - 16.6 k is quite a huge jump.

Oddly enough, the HB103 I have clocks in at 15.3k.

Comment

The new Tyranno does seem to sound a bit more ballsy. Bigger, crunchier, less fuzzy, more solid.

By the way...great vid.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

It sounds nice would like to hear it put through its paces though playing more than just 1 riff though, maybe in a band mix too.
                "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

The standard tolerance for measurement is +/- 10%. Resistance varies with ambient temperature, so 1% isn't surprising. I have measured the same pickup at room temperature and at 20 below and the spread is as much as 3K.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                    The standard tolerance for measurement is +/- 10%. Resistance varies with ambient temperature, so 1% isn't surprising. I have measured the same pickup at room temperature and at 20 below and the spread is as much as 3K.

10% really? Damn that means like a low of 14.9 and a high of 18.2. That seems to be a wider range than vintage pafs had.
                    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Actually 1.82K difference. A simple experiment is to take a reading from a pickup at room temperature and then put a pickup in your pocket for 15 minutes and measure it. Or put it in the freezer for 15 minutes. Even body heat will cause the reading to skew. So don't take resistance readings too seriously.
                      Last edited by idsnowdog; 11-18-2012, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Super cool! I like both but the custom pickup sounds like a DD with some JB flavour which I like a lot! Very nice! Keep on forging metal.
                        Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

The Custom Shop is much more clear and open, sounds fantastic. Congratulations. MJ knows her stuff. She wound a modified Brobucker for me that was so good I've decided to build a very nice guitar just for it.

I've seen the 10% used often as the tolerance, is that official? I'd imagine they are manufactured to a wind count spec and the wire variation + machine setup variation +environment leads to the variation in resistance. If it is +/- 10%, then edgecrusher is correct on the range, which seems very wide.

Comment

Was the first solo on the stock DD?- I was hoping to hear the same solo with the Custom Shop DD.

fun to listen to, though

Comment

Interesting. I like the Tyrannotitan a lot more on its own, but when you have them both playing simultaneously the DD sounds more...I dunno...present? Sounds like its more solidly there, that it would cut better if both were in a full mix.
                              Originally posted by Aceman
                              It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Working...
                              X