Wiring thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring thoughts

I was playing last night and this morning and started thing about my 2 volumes 1 tone setup(2 humbuckers). I don't use the tone knob except to coil split, and I don't like that the volumes aren't independant. So i'm thinking Indie volumes and a master volume with the coil tap. What do you guys think about this?
    I want more me in my tone.

Re: Wiring thoughts

The more vol pots your signal goes thru the more potential for degrading your tone IMO. I would recommend either just one master vol (with push/pull split) or two independant vols with one of them a push/pull for coil split. Forget about three vols.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I've always thought that independent volumes are very interesting but I never tried it. I'm certain they will let for more versatility and variety of tones when combining the two pickups together. I don't use the tone control either, the only purpose it has for me is to make my cleans to sound like classical nylon strings, but then again is that ever possible?

Plus the master volume gives more freedom than just two independent vol controls.
      Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
        The more vol pots your signal goes thru the more potential for degrading your tone IMO. I would recommend either just one master vol (with push/pull split) or two independant vols with one of them a push/pull for coil split. Forget about three vols.
        The tone would become a volume, still three pots in the signal path, 2 before the switch and 1 after, but no cap. Do you think it(tone) would change that much?

Comment

GuitarDoc has a point, vol pots affect tone but it's a matter of taste. I'd say try it and see if you like the result.
          Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

Sometimes that's the best advice any of us can give..."try it and see how it works for you".
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I love independent volumes. How I wire all my guitars if they have a volume fore each pickup. Try the three volumes and tell us the results.

Comment

Indie vol. pots work fine now I'm trying the master vol.

Comment

Working...
                X