Pup Suggestions Fret King Semi Hollow Elise - Soul/R&B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pup Suggestions Fret King Semi Hollow Elise - Soul/R&B

I'm old player playing 58 years, still playing out with sons. I love JazzN and 59B in my PRS semi hollow, but just got a Wilkinson Fret King Elise semi hollow (339 size but a little fatter), mahogany carve out with maple cap like a Midtown, it projects well acoustically, but I don't like the Wilkinson PAFs (supposedly designed by Seth also), as they are too raw sounding, not smooth. More Like an acoustic with a pickup placed in the soundhole. I thought this also when I had a Hamer Newport Pro with SD Seth Lovers, as it had a spruce top. Just too in your face sound. I liked '57 Classics in Gibson semis, but now prefer smoother delivery of SD pups, as they are less raw.

I play through a Fender Deluxe Reverb with Red Fang Alnico speaker, and we do a lot of Sam Cooke, Ray Charles, Percy Sledge, Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, Allman Bros., and Stevie Ray type covers, also funk and Motown. I liked '57 classics years ago on Gibson ES-335. I obviously like a darker, sweeter sound, no gain at all, totally clean, and then use Barber LTD for OD when wanted.

I'm wondering whether an AP2 set would work for these soul sounds, or maybe a Jazz set. I have SD Antiquities II isingle coils n my CP Jaguar, and love them.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Pup Suggestions Fret King Semi Hollow Elise - Soul/R&B

sounds like a2p would be exactly what you are after.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Thanks. I like Burstbucker 1 and II in Gibson Midtown Custom, and they are A II mags as well. I prefer Duncan JazzN to BB I in neck position, as it is more articulate. Will a2p neck also articulate like Jazz?

Comment

different vibe. the jazz is an A5 pickup geared totally for clarity whereas the a2p is an a2 pickup geared for warmth and sponginess.

i put an a2 magnet into my jazz (neck position of a 175). Really nice. spongy and warm but with excellent detail.

In my 335 tho, i have a pair of 59s that are also modded by using a2 magnets. Thats a real sweet combination too. There are other pickups id like to try out, but i'd be very surprised if i could find a "better" set...only different.

Both my main axes came stock when new with gibson 57s, but they both sound a lot better without them!
        Last edited by Chickenwings; 11-19-2012, 07:24 AM.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I had A2P bridge and Jazz neck in my Epi Dot. Great combo for semihollow!

Comment

Thanks. Seems the 175 is a fair comparison as to width of my guitar, despite my Elise being mahogany carve out. Fact that you preferred a2 mags for sweetness over Jazz and 57s is also informative. I guess every axe is different as to tonewoods, but for the sound I'm seeking I don't see another choice than a2. I know I preferred the Antiquities II singles in Jag more than Jazz/59 in semi, for that fat sweetness. Would HB Antiquities be any different than a2p set?
            Thanks.

Comment

Looked up my own answer - Antiquities are Seth Lovers - unpotted. Seems a2p is same pup in neck or bridge. I'll get these. Thanks so much.

Comment

Working...
              X