Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker Pickup Selection for Walnut Body with Floyd

Hey Guys

First post and new to the ins and outs of Pickups so go easy on me.

I'm rebuilding a guitar i made a number of years ago, finally deciding to get some decent pickups etc on it.

The body is Walnut (strat shape), Maple bolt on neck, Ebony fingerboard with a floyd rose trem.

I like and play a broad range of styles from metal to blues.

Ideally im looking for:

Bridge: something with a bit of power, used mostly for lead solos and chunky riffs, good sustain, capable of strong harmonics

Neck: bright bluesy tone, and crisp tight rhythm.

Anyone have any suggestions, and thoughts on how they might sound based on the setup info i've given? I'm slightly confused by the differences and B/M/T of A2 A5 and Ceramic.

Cheers

Re: Humbucker Pickup Selection for Walnut Body with Floyd

I read very good things about walnut all the time. From metal to blues I'd say JB would be a good choice for that wood. And maybe Jazz for neck? But I'm not that much into neck pickups.

welcome aboard.
    Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

I discovered that walnut is very picky. Especially that combination. My say; pearly for moderate output. Patb2 for more or An alternative 8 for more smoothness and an invader when it cant get hot enough.

Aka. Warm sounding pickups.

Comment

Hopefully Jerry will pipe in. He struggled to find the right pickups for his. Iirc said the breed was the best.
        Last edited by idsnowdog; 11-22-2012, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Cheers guys.

I've read that while the JB is a very good alround pickup, it can be a bit harsh in walnut. Why is that? Everything im looking at says an A2 magnet is a better choice for bright guitars to balance them out. dont they lack bass though?

For reference, unplugged, the guitar really chimes, crisp but with real substance.

Comment

Originally posted by sean_designer View Post
            Cheers guys.

I've read that while the JB is a very good alround pickup, it can be a bit harsh in walnut. Why is that? Everything im looking at says an A2 magnet is a better choice for bright guitars to balance them out. dont they lack bass though?

For reference, unplugged, the guitar really chimes, crisp but with real substance.
            In my experience, A2 is really bright with a healthy amount of upper mids. I think a good choice for bright guitars would be A4 (flat and even EQ), or an A8 (really pronounces those lower mids). Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
            X