banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use SH-4 in the neck with SH-6 in the bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can I use SH-4 in the neck with SH-6 in the bridge?

However, the SH-4 with coils wired in parallel might actually do what he wants.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
      However, the SH-4 with coils wired in parallel might actually do what he wants.
      Why screw around with that, when he can just get a good PU made for the neck slot in the first place? If he already has a JB, then yes, convoluted solutions are fine. But if he's looking at buying a neck PU that does what he wants, why make it more complicated than it has to be?
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
        Why screw around with that, when he can just get a good PU made for the neck slot in the first place? If he already has a JB, then yes, convoluted solutions are fine. But if he's looking at buying a neck PU that does what he wants, why make it more complicated than it has to be?
        Yes, your point is well founded. For some reason I was thinking that he already had one. In reading the thread again I see my mistake.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          Yes, your point is well founded. For some reason I was thinking that he already had one. In reading the thread again I see my mistake.
          I don't know, maybe he does. But the simplest solutions should always be tried first. He may not have any prior soldering experience with push-pulls or mini-toggles, so that could be a whole other set of things to deal with. And if he doesn't like a JB in parallel, he probably won't like it in normal series in the neck, then he's stuck with it, and probably wishing he'd have bought something else. Take the straight path to the solution!
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Swap the magnet in the JB for ceramic, essentially turning it into a Distortion. Then buy a real neck pup.
            Vocalist/Guitarist of Megaton, a Stoner/Sludge Metal band
            www.soundcloud.com/megatonomaha
            www,facebook.com/megatonomaha
            www.reverbnation.com/megatonomaha

Comment

Also if you don't like a thick neck pickup, go with a Jazz

Comment

He said in the first post that the Jazz neck was too thick, Never heard the jazz as too thick, but everyone likes something different.
                also he does not have a JB, he just likes the bridge tone clean, so why would he buy a JB to swap magnets to get close when he could buy a Distortion to begin with.
                I stand by my DMZ HFH or SD phat cat recomendation.

Originally posted by stevesmith1987 View Post
                Also if you don't like a thick neck pickup, go with a Jazz

Comment

Oh, with the way everyone was talking I thought he already had it, my bad.

And Jazz too thick? Well I think hes out of luck then. Sounds like he wants to make a neck pup sound like a bridge pup, and that ain't happening.

Comment

Originally posted by stevesmith1987 View Post
                    And Jazz too thick? Well I think hes out of luck then. Sounds like he wants to make a neck pup sound like a bridge pup, and that ain't happening.
                    Right, if a Jazz is too thick, he'll hate a JB in the neck (bizarre idea). A DiMarzio HFH is pretty bright and thin in the neck slot; not a lot that's thinner than a Jazz.

Comment

Working...
                    X