Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size caps do I need?!!!?

Hey everyone.

I'm going to be wiring SD hot rodded humbuckers (jazz sh-2, jb sh-4) in my epiphone les paul custom. I'm planning on using two volumes and two tones/2 push pulls.

Looking around at martin six string customs, rs guitarworks, etc. it seems common to use .022microfarad caps. However when I look at SD's wiring diagram http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...h_2v_2t_3w_2pp they use .047 microfarad caps. Is there a reason for this? I know different sizes are sort of a matter of preference but what would be most common.

Re: What size caps do I need?!!!?

The .047s will roll treble off at a lower frequency, meaning they'll be darker. I'd go with .022s. I think that's what Gibson is using in stock LPs these days.

Comment

Originally posted by LesEpi View Post
      Hey everyone.

I'm going to be wiring SD hot rodded humbuckers (jazz sh-2, jb sh-4) in my epiphone les paul custom. I'm planning on using two volumes and two tones/2 push pulls.

Looking around at martin six string customs, rs guitarworks, etc. it seems common to use .022microfarad caps. However when I look at SD's wiring diagram http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...h_2v_2t_3w_2pp they use .047 microfarad caps. Is there a reason for this? I know different sizes are sort of a matter of preference but what would be most common.
      This is one of those preference deals. I swapped out all the electronics in my Epi Lp for A Slash APH-2 in the neck and a Duncan SH-5 Custom in the bridge. I also swapped in 500k CTS pots, and I recommend you also get rid of the crappy stock Epi pots. With caps I went with Sprague Orange Drops at 200v and at first I had .022s. Sounded too thin to my ears so I swapped in the .047s and to me it sounds a little thicker with less highs. So if you want a brighter, thinner tone, go .022s. Want warmth and thickness? Go .047s, I'd buy both like I did. Try one, then the other. They are easy to swap. Right now, I'm considering changing my volumes to 250k/300k to darken the tone a bit. Pots and caps are easy to switch so I say buy multiples and try stuff until you hit the set-up you like.
      MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Comment

About sizes, don't go further than 400V or caps will difficulty fit your electronics cavity.
        My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
        My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

I haven't experimented with changing caps, but it seems that the voltage rating should be superfluous. The signal levels inside a guitar should not come close to the breakdown voltage of a 25V cap. Am I missing something here?
          Originally posted by DreX
          Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
          The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
          There's no substance to anything I have posted.
          Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
          I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vegetable View Post
            I haven't experimented with changing caps, but it seems that the voltage rating should be superfluous. The signal levels inside a guitar should not come close to the breakdown voltage of a 25V cap. Am I missing something here?
            Nope. You can safely ignore the voltage rating for use in a guitar. Even 25v is massive overkill on the signal levels inside a guitar. If the voltage gets anywhere near that in a guitar, you've got way bigger problems to be worrying about than the rating of the caps.
            Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Orange drop .022 caps are a good starting place.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
              X