Listen to these 4 bridge pickups and tell me what you think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Listen to these 4 bridge pickups and tell me what you think

They all sound about the same to me. I think the only differences from example to example can easily be chalked up to differences in the way they were played, and/or string variation set to set. They could all easily be equalized with minor changes in amp settings, pick choice, and palm muting. #1 sounds like my favorite, but I really had to split hairs to decide that.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 11-26-2012, 05:58 PM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I love the sound of #3. Nice clarity with the right amount of sustain. #1 was too distorted IMO
      "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

#1 for the rich, clear harmonics. #2 is a close second but not as good as #1.

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
          That's a pretty harsh characterization. A lot of people like that kind of honk in their pickups. Isn't that a quality people look for in vintage PAF's?
          "Extremely annoying" is total hyperbole but we all know that GuitarDoc is full of piss/vinegar and wakes up on the wrong side of the bed nearly 300 days a year.

I liked Number 1 the best but they all sounded good to my ears.
          Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

#2 by far. Nice and smooth, not ice picky, balanced to my ears.

#3 was way too thin for my liking, #4 wasn't as bad. #1 would be my second favorite, but had a little bit too much bite, but sounds good. #2 just sounded the best all around.
            Last edited by Myaccount876; 11-27-2012, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Update coming soon. Try to upload tonight.

Comment

#2 for me

Comment

So what are the pickups?

Comment

Initially, I setup the amp and mic using the guitar with pickup 3 so I think the settings complimented that pickup but weren't optimal for the other pickups. I think this was the basic flaw in my test. Pickup 1 is the most balanced of them all so I probably should have used that one to set up the recording.
                    This is a flaw in most pickup comparisons. If your rig is setup in a way that most everything sounds good through it, and you change guitars for flavour, then it's ok. If you tweaked for one particular guitar, and then run a different guitar and/or pickup through it, it won't complement that guitar/pickup as well as if you retweaked for it. For example, if you turn the treble down to warm up a Strat, a fat modern humbucker will sound muffled. (Not an attack on UMD; general "you"s intended throughout.)

Comment

I like #2 for it beefy low end and #3 for it nice nasally wine on the high end. Don't know if I described it right, but my two cents worth. So dos inflation affect opinion? Cause I'm sure when that term was coined you could buy one hell of a lot more with your two cents then than you can now! LOL
                      Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
                      If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

I went 4 and then 3 was second.
                        I hear something smooth and sweet in the attack and compression of 4 that I don't hear in the rest. 3 was close but lacked that smooth compression 1 was overly bright and harsh and 2 has a nasty fuzzy fizzy hair to it that I don't care for.
                        Guitars
                        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
                          So what are the pickups?
                          They're all Dimarzio pickups except #4 which is a PATB-1. The first one is a Dimarzio Breed. The second is a Dimarzio Norton. The third one is a Dimarzio Norton with a nickel base plate and an unpolished A2 magnet - HOWEVER, I highly prefer a polished A2 magnet than the unpolished one. The polished A2 sounds more like the A5 and has more output than the roughcast, but still retains a lot of the cool, smooth qualities of the roughcast A2. I have a polished A2 with the copper base plate in there now by the way. Although the nickel base plate is slightly more buttery, the copper base plate gives it a more pronounced "aw" sound and a little more punch.

Originally posted by scarr View Post
                          This is a flaw in most pickup comparisons. If your rig is setup in a way that most everything sounds good through it, and you change guitars for flavour, then it's ok. If you tweaked for one particular guitar, and then run a different guitar and/or pickup through it, it won't complement that guitar/pickup as well as if you retweaked for it. For example, if you turn the treble down to warm up a Strat, a fat modern humbucker will sound muffled. (Not an attack on UMD; general "you"s intended throughout.)
                          No offense taken and thanks for taking the time to comment. When I initially did it, I didn't realize how effective the EQ controls were on my Goldfinger 90. Just a couple of little tweaks and it sounds a lot different.

Comment

They're all Dimarzio pickups except #4 which is a PATB-1. The first one is a Dimarzio Breed. The second is a Dimarzio Norton. The third one is a Dimarzio Norton with a nickel base plate and an unpolished A2 magnet - HOWEVER, I highly prefer a polished A2 magnet than the unpolished one. The polished A2 sounds more like the A5 and has more output than the roughcast, but still retains a lot of the cool, smooth qualities of the roughcast A2. I have a polished A2 with the copper base plate in there now by the way. Although the nickel base plate is slightly more buttery, the copper base plate gives it a more pronounced "aw" sound and a little more punch.

No offense taken and thanks for taking the time to comment. When I initially did it, I didn't realize how effective the EQ controls were on my Goldfinger 90. Just a couple of little tweaks and it sounds a lot different.
                            Nice, knew I liked the sound of the Breed, but surprised I liked the Norton. Never really considered that pup but I will now. Also would like a Tone Zone with an A8, and a Super Distortion. Been really getting into Dimarzio pickups lately.

Comment

Man a Tone Zone with an A8 sounds like it would be way too thick and hot, but it would interesting to hear how it turns out. In my experience, you can usually get a real good idea of what a pickup will sound like with another magnet if you're familiar with the pickup and qualities of different magnets. However, sometimes you get something totally unexpected. The A2 Norton was a real surprise to me and apparently people overwhelmingly like it. Let me know if you ever do that mag swap.

Comment

I preferred the breed. It had a bit of midrange honk and an audible pick attack, but was still open enough to sound lyrical.

I didn't think any of them sounded terrible OR incredible, though. No real strong feelings one way or the other.
                                -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Working...
                                X