Magnet direction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnet direction?

Im sorry to post a simple question. Esp since Ive swapped magnets before, but this it to actually educate me properly. I usually get mags that have no marking and I compare them based on pull vs push to the old one before pulling the old one completely out, then I swap em. I just bought some UOa5s and the seller marked north on them.. So, to properly educate me, what way does North go??

Thanks!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Magnet direction?

I've swapped more magnets than most, and never known what direction was which, nor do you really need to. Hold it up to the old mag when it's halfway out. Overthink this and you may screw it up. No guarantee the North-South is written correctly on your new mags.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

kinda what I figured. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing a Learnin' experience... Thanks
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
        kinda what I figured. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing a Learnin' experience... Thanks
        The 'learning experience' is the changes in EQ and output that all the various mags make; you ain't missing anything with mag orientation.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
          The 'learning experience' is the changes in EQ and output that all the various mags make; you ain't missing anything with mag orientation.
          That, and if it is put in the wrong way just swap the magnet 180 degrees or if it is 4-conductor swap the black and green wires.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
            I just bought some UOa5s and the seller marked north on them.. So, to properly educate me, what way does North go??

As you can see, the North side of a Duncan p'up and all humbuckers listed in the linked document, correspond to the Slug coil.

Always has, always will.

HTH,
            Last edited by LtKojak; 11-25-2012, 02:36 AM.

Comment

A simple test, if you have a meter, is install the magnet randomly. No need to tighten up the screws just yet. Connect the meter leads with red(meter lead)-to-black and black(meter lead)-to-green. Red/white together, of course. Bring a screwdriver up against the poles. Now yank it away. If you have the magnet oriented properly, the meter will show a positive deflection as you bring it up against the poles, and a negative swing as you yank it away. If you get the opposite, flip the mag.

If you use a digital meter, just look for the "minus" sign in one direction.

Comment

Are you bringing the screwdriver to the screws or slugs?
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                  http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...ic=color_codes

As you can see, the North side of a Duncan p'up and all humbuckers listed in the linked document, correspond to the Slug coil.

Always has, always will.

HTH,
                  That's funny; the last pair of Gibby humbuckers I fiddled with, had north to the screw side...?

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                    Are you bringing the screwdriver to the screws or slugs?
                    Either. Doesn't matter. Slug usually gives a bit more output so its easier to see on the meter.

Here's my more long-winded version: Artie's Pickup ID page

Comment

no meter, doing the swap in a few min.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by CloneRanger View Post
                        That's funny; the last pair of Gibby humbuckers I fiddled with, had north to the screw side...?
                        In my 13+ years as a guitar tech, I've had only one p'up that was assembled with the magnet reversed from the factory and that was an Epi HOTCH, their 498T copy, coming from a 2001, three-p'up SG Custom.

HTH,

Comment

Ok, tore it down, turned it around. I discovered the noise was from a broken ground wire. Dunno why they use such a short wire. Fixed

The pup sounds pretty cool with the new mag, BUT.. sounds like a wah pedal on (out of phase) when I switch to middle position. @$#$@##$ I have the thing in the same way as the old one. (top to bottom cuz I did the opposites attract deal with the stocker before I pulled it. Hopefully I can test it today thru an amp to see how I like the pup now. Seems to be more subtle and not as aggressive as stock.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                            In my 13+ years as a guitar tech
                            come on, Lt, you know that nobody here is going to believe any tech that's not been doing it for at least 13.5+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                              come on, Lt, you know that nobody here is going to believe any tech that's not been doing it for at least 13.5+ years.

You're right. I'm worthless! Don't listen to me! Ever! Ban me! Kill me!

Oh, darn... I just wrote a song for an EMO band...

Comment

Working...
                              X