Magnet swaps - what else do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnet swaps - what else do you use?

I tried my first magnet swap the other night and it was pretty easy. I did, however, have to use some paper as a spacer because the A5 I tried was thinner than the ceramic magnet I was swapping out. And it got me wondering a few things

1. Is the magnet supposed to be flush against the bobbins or the base plate? That is, if you don't have anything to fill up the space properly when magnet thickness is different.

2. What do you use for spacers to occupy the space I mentioned?

For reference, I was using an A5 magnet out of a 498t into a generic humbucker with a ceramic magnet. The ceramic magnet was nearly twice as thick and the little slender spacers that run along the outside edges of the bobbins/baseplate couldn't be moved because there was no room for one of them to lay on it's side.

Re: Magnet swaps - what else do you use?

I am assuming that what you are saying is that the magnet is skinnier than the keeper bar, and the keeper bar is preventing contact between the magnet and the baseplate. If so, the magnet doesn't need to touch the baseplate; don't worry about it. Most importantly, the magnet should physically contact the slug pole pieces and the keeper bar. As long as the magnet sticks itself in there between those parts, you're good.

If you want to shim it for peace of mind, I would shim it flush with the bobbins, and I'd use construction paper to do it.

It can help to heat the magnet with a heat gun after everything is put together. That will remelt any wax, which will help keep the parts from moving around.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 11-27-2012, 01:46 PM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I'm not exactly sure what the keeper bar is, unless that is the two long rails running alongside the magnet?

Comment

The keeper bar is called the "metal spacer" in this diagram. The spacer on the other side is truly just a spacer; it has no other purpose. But the keeper bar anchors the screw pole pieces, as well as serving as a spacer.
        Attached Files
        Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Oh, I see. It wasn't that. I was referring to the plastic shims. There were two of them to stabilize the bobbins and make them level with the ceramic magnet. When I put the A5 in there, it wasn't nearly the same height as the ceramic mag, so I put some piece of paper between it and the baseplate so the bobbins didn't angle inward when I put it all back together. If I took the shims out, there wasn't enough space. Just wanted make sure it was ok to put something between the magnet and baseplate, in the case of extra space. Knowing the magnet should touch the slugs is good to know. Thanks!

Comment

So, the 498 does not have a keeper bar?

If the pickup had a very thick ceramic magnet with a smaller magnet on either side, and no keeper bar, I am pretty sure it is a 500, not a 498.
            Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Both pickups had keeper bars. I just didn't know what the keeper bar was until you posted that image. Now I understand the bits and pieces a bit better.

Comment

You just want the magnet to be tight and secure or you can get microphonic feedback from it vibrating. I keep spare spacers (taken from old PU's) that come in handy for that situation.
                "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

What would be good to use if no extra spacers are available? I might order some extra shims, but what about to put between the magnet and backplate if there's space? Construction paper like Itsabass said? How about wax paper, cardstock, or maybe thin plastic from clamshell packaging cut to fit?

Comment

Got some magnets in the mail yesterday (A8, UOA5) and I already put the A8 in a DD SH-6. It sounds rich and boomy through my headphone amp, but the real test will be tomorrow when I get to use my halfstack. I ended up using a piece of cardboard as a shim to take up the extra space between the A8 and the baseplate.

After that, I'll put the A8 in the 498t and the A5 from that in the Distortion, then the UOA5 in both. This is nearly making me giddy with excitement. I wish I had a Custom and a JB to try these magnets in as well, but this should do for now.

Comment

In the Distortion you should be able to turn the spacer on it's side, from vertical alighnment to horizontal (it should be the same thickness as the A8 magnet). Then tighten it down just like normal. Corrugated paper (like a box, which I'm assuming you're referring to as cardboard) will squash down, so it's probably not the best material to use as a spacer, you could get microphonic.

Comment

I tried to turn them on their side, but the one wouldn't fit right because of the lead wire. I'll have to try it again. I might also get some plastic and cut it to fit.

Comment

Just take it out, in a Duncan pickup with a normal sized magnet there is only one spacer on the opposite side from the lead wire.

Comment

Working...
                          X