Mental support needed. First time deceived with New Pickup/Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mental support needed. First time deceived with New Pickup/Guitar

That 12 pin pickup selector doesn't seem to be stock, after reviewing the official ibanez product page for the RGD7421. The toggle switch shaft on your 12 pin (based on the earlier pic you provided) is narrower than the toggle switch shaft on the Ibanez site. Plus, hard to imagine Ibanez providing a 12 pin switch as stock equipment and them wiring it for 3 ootions only - overkill.

if you did not install the switch yourself, its looking to me like this guitar was modded before you purchased it. Did you buy from an authorized dealer?

The 12 pin switch is not a bad thing in itself (should give you more options than a stock 3 way), but more a concern about your warranty, plus that the weak sound issue you reported may be due to thia aftermarket switch not being wired up correctly in the first place.

(I believe your low string going out of pitch as you reported separately is due to the pickup being too close to the low string(s), which you reported - did you perform that check I recommended where you see if the pickup can't sit further down because the wire is running underneath the entire width of the pickup in order to reach the exit hole in the pickup cavity to go to the controls cavity? If yes, flip the pickup's orientation by 180 degrees - wire should then have shorter route, and interfere less with attempting to sit the pickup deeper in the cavity.
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 11-29-2012, 06:03 PM.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by gman128 View Post
      Only because there is a historical relationship between Ibanez and dimarzio - i.e. most of the high end ibanez models use dimarzio pickups.
      I have 4 ibanez RGs - all loaded with various duncans - they all kick arse.

IMO the dactivators suck. Tried them in the ibanez xiphos model - really shrill, not enough bass.
      Tried them in the RG465 - even worse than in the xiphos. - I don't think they can match up to say, a duncan distortion, invader, blackout, or even nicer sounding dimarzios like the evolutions or the tone zone.
      That is pretty much what I am thinking to, not enough bass and really ear piercing highs. I have experience with EMG's and tho I did not like the cleans the distorted tone were alrighty tight by me and I though that going the D-Activator way for passive would get me in this area.
      Frank
      - PRS SE Custom (Jazz/JB)
      - Ibanez RGD7421 (D-Activator)
      - Tanglewood TW170AS-CE

Traynor YCS100 through Marshall 1960 lead (4x12)
      Originally posted by Curt
      Whatever you do, remember to play in the crabcore position, it helps with the tone.

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
        That 12 pin pickup selector doesn't seem to be stock, after reviewing the official ibanez product page for the RGD7421. The toggle switch shaft on your 12 pin (based on the earlier pic you provided) is narrower than the toggle switch shaft on the Ibanez site. Plus, hard to imagine Ibanez providing a 12 pin switch as stock equipment and them wiring it for 3 ootions only - overkill.

if you did not install the switch yourself, its looking to me like this guitar was modded before you purchased it. Did you buy from an authorized dealer?

The 12 pin switch is not a bad thing in itself (should give you more options than a stock 3 way), but more a concern about your warranty, plus that the weak sound issue you reported may be due to thia aftermarket switch not being wired up correctly in the first place.

(I believe your low string going out of pitch as you reported separately is due to the pickup being too close to the low string(s), which you reported - did you perform that check I recommended where you see if the pickup can't sit further down because the wire is running underneath the entire width of the pickup in order to reach the exit hole in the pickup cavity to go to the controls cavity? If yes, flip the pickup's orientation by 180 degrees - wire should then have shorter route, and interfere less with attempting to sit the pickup deeper in the cavity.
        I unpackaged the guitar from the Ibanez box and all so I would not understand at all any mod that would no be stock on this guitar... Oh and the picture I posted is only to show the red 12 pin box, because the toggle itself IS bigger than on the picture (You can see it on the pic of my actual guitar) I can't understand that kind of switch to be there either... The shop I bought it at is a huge and authorized dealer here (Italmelodie)

And yeah the pickup wire is going the shortest ways to the electronics cavity, and the pickup is sitting at little more than centimeter from the strings which is reasonable by me... I'm really waiting for my 10-64 strings to arrive so I can throw that 59 away and maybe find a way out.
        Last edited by FrankyBoy; 11-29-2012, 06:16 PM.
        Frank
        - PRS SE Custom (Jazz/JB)
        - Ibanez RGD7421 (D-Activator)
        - Tanglewood TW170AS-CE

Traynor YCS100 through Marshall 1960 lead (4x12)
        Originally posted by Curt
        Whatever you do, remember to play in the crabcore position, it helps with the tone.

Comment

another thing just jumped out at me after looking at the ibenez product page for the RGD 7421. the stock pickups do not have pick up rings installed - so the width of the pickup cavity may very well be sized different . this may explain the tight fit that you experienced.
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

have you performed intonation check on that string? maybe a saddle needs to be adjusted.

Comment

pitch can also go out if the action is set too low.

Comment

My low string is a 62 or 66 tuned to E. So 59 tuned to B is going to be a floptastic mess, I'm not suprised it never sounds in tune. Try something more in the 70-80 range.

Comment

Working...
                X