Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone DOT distortion

Hello.
    I purchased a used Epi DOT that had a malfunctioning 3way toggle. The pups worked clearly and fine but the neck pup would sometimes konk out.
    I bought a new three way and dropped it in last night. It was slightly different from the original but it works on all three selections. Bridge selection sounds normal.

Problem now is - unlike before - the neck pup now sounds like its being played through a distortion pedal and that continues on the double pup selection.
    Hooking up the 3 way had me tugging on a few wires in order to solder them.
    Could I have yanked a wire out? If so, it seems to me it wouldn't turn on at all. No?
    No other buzzes or konk outs are present.
    Can somebody help, please?

Re: Epiphone DOT distortion

You already know what to do: you're 'going back in' to fix the problem. As you have now found out, you never want to pull or tug on wires when you put things back in an F hole. Means more work, in this case, the neck pots probably have to come out too. Find what's shorting out and test it thru an amp before you put the stuff back in. And then gently put the parts back inside. Get the pots in place and tightened up, then test it again thru an amp before you put the knobs back on. Take it in stages. Skip a step, or cram and jam things, and you'll regret it. If the wires are too tight, which happens, sometimes you have to replace them with a longer one, or attach another wire to get more length. You want plenty of slack between each piece, so there's no pulling on anything.

Over the years I've rewired several dozen F hole guitars, and at some point have probably made every mistake that possibly can be made, so I know what you're going thru. I've 'gone back in' more times than I wanted to. If it isn't working right when it's reassembled, there is only one solution, and that's taking it out and checking everything. No other way to find the problem, you can't do anything from the outside. The fix has to be secure enough so that it won't short out again as you move and transport the guitar. It's a good lesson to do it right the first time. Take your time; don't force it. Now you know.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Starting over and doing the job twice is a bummer. But like Blue said, there is no other way. Be VERY meticulous and make sure each solder joint is perfect with no chance of loosening or coming apart or any wires touching anything they are not supposed to before goinig on to the next step. Doing it once is enough!
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Yup. I figured. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by paul michael View Post
          Yup. I figured. Thanks.
          Hey guys...GREAT NEWS!
          I have a Blues Deluxe (my test amp last night) with two inputs for effects. I plugged in my Tele and the same noise happened. I had removed my pedal board but not the cables when I tested the switch I installed and that left that amp circuit open. I unplugged the open ended cables and all was well. The Epi Dot lives with great tone!
          Thanks for you suggestions. Glad I didn't need to "go in" again.

Comment

Working...
          X