Refinishing guitar soon, needs new pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refinishing guitar soon, needs new pickups

Hey guys, I had posted in the guitar section of the forum a while back about refinishing a guitar. I have worked some on the guitar and with school getting out in a few weeks, I should have time to get finished soon. The only thing I am wondering about now is which pickups to put in the guitar. The previous owner had EMG passives in it, and I think I should definitely give it something much better.

I plan on using this guitar for most of the heavier music I play. I will be playing music such as August Burns Red, The Chariot, stuff like that on it. I want to put something high output in it since I have always stayed away from anything too high output in my Les Paul since I didnt want to kill the versatility in it since it was my only guitar. The guitar is a Laguna lower end model, and I will be playing it through a 6505 or Triple Rectifier on the rare occasion I get to jam, and on whatever practice amp I decide to get soon most of the time. It is a basswood body.

I am debating on putting an Invader or Distortion in it, but have also wondered about one of the many Bare Knuckle offerings or maybe even a WCR Iron Man. Ive always wanted to try the WCR or Bare Knuckles but I wonder if its too much putting such expensive pickups in that guitar. I am open to putting anything in it, there are so many choices I wanted to hear this forums opinion to help narrow down the choices. Thanks.

Re: Refinishing guitar soon, needs new pickups

Basswood and dimarzios are best friends! I had a duncan custom and a jb in a basswood dinky and it was ok, I was more pleased with the evo in there. If I had to recommend you something I'd definitely say the crunch lab, super D, or the dominion from dimarzio. if you want duncans I'd say you're on the right track with the invader or distortion though the invader might be the better of the two. as for the BKP I can't say, never tried em

Comment

A Crunchlab/Liquifire combo would be pretty cool in the guitar. Too many choices, good thing I have time to figure this out.

I am kind of leaning towards trying an Invader, has anyone tried it with an A8 magnet?

Comment

Originally posted by jimman View Post
        ...Bare Knuckles but I wonder if its too much putting such expensive pickups in that guitar...
        remember that once you've bought the pup it's yours for life (or til you take it to the trading board) so a fancy expensive pickup can always be moved to a later, shinier guitar acquisition.

after it somehow managed to turn itself into a single coil pup, i got the dimarzio paf pro in my old jem 77fp rewound as a nailbomb by the guys at bkp and i like it, however, being in the uk means that their prices aren't nearly so huge as they are for someone stateside like yourself.

Comment

Good point, I could definitely change it out to antoher guitar if i I wanted. Because of the high price I would definitly try and find a used one if I was to go BKP

Comment

Working...
          X