banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A5 made SETH 55 a Killer, perfect P.U. for me. Can my empty JB SH-4 be made cleaner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A5 made SETH 55 a Killer, perfect P.U. for me. Can my empty JB SH-4 be made cleaner?

Hello,
    Thanks to you folks, and your advice, I put an A5 mag from my JB-SH-4 into my Seth Lover and the combo made the perfect humbucker for me. Bloomfield to Eric/W bluesbreakers. Thank you all.
    Is there any way or any magnet that I can use or try to tame the JB model that is now w/out any mag as I used it in the SETH. Any way to clean it up a little? Sounds like a very small amount of fuzz is on when I play it low volume (when the A5 was in). I have 2 more JB's in my other guitars + a JB Trembucker in my Strat. I assume many of you know that the Seth comes w/an A2.
    Thanks in advance, as always,
    Steve B.

Re: A5 made SETH 55 a Killer, perfect P.U. for me. Can my empty JB SH-4 be made clean

Try the a2.
    I want more me in my tone.

Comment

Re: A5 made SETH 55 a Killer, perfect P.U. for me. Can my empty JB SH-4 be made clean

Hi Grenade,
      I am sorry, of course I could try the A2, and I almost went back to edit my post, but got caught up with something else. So thank you, but I was wondering as far as magnets go, Not to mention if there were any other wild suggestions to try or something odd like pulling the slugs and using the screws with some kind of super mag like a high-sharp sounding ceramic, I'm just makin' stuff up here.
      Just hoping there is someone who had experience in this. But I will try the A2 out, but there is so much wire in a JB I don't know if just an A2 would be of much help. Just lookin' for some wild pickup doctor that might have a unique take on this. Again, thanks for responding.
      Steve

Comment

The pole pieces are non magnetic all they do is direct the field they dont strengthen it pulling the slugs will make the field lower and wider but the same power. It will alter the tonal response some but it will be the same output. If you want less output try the A2 try wiring it different throw in a series-parallel switch or just wire the pickup that way all the time that will drop its output also.
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

funny you like the seth with an a5. For me, it's way too shrill. I prefer an uoa5, though. but then again... the UOA5 works in almost everything. Bumps up the mids and sweetens the highs of a '59. makes an alnico2pro a bit tighter. softens the JB, fattens up a jazz (though the jazz works best with an a2 or an a8, imho).

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
            funny you like the seth with an a5. For me, it's way too shrill. I prefer an uoa5, though.
            My experience exactly with the A5.

OTOH, the UOA5 in the Seth neck doesn't have that "spongy" quality in the bass I've found in the '59n and the Ant neck.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
              My experience exactly with the A5.

OTOH, the UOA5 in the Seth neck doesn't have that "spongy" quality in the bass I've found in the '59n and the Ant neck.
              agreed. I really like the ant neck, could be a tad hotter though to keep up with the bridge pickup. Those 2 pickups you mentioned have that spongy, flutey quality to them. I really like those pups (but the 59B in the neck is imho even better).

Comment

I really like the ant neck, could be a tad hotter though to keep up with the bridge pickup.
                You reckon? I find it extremely balanced output-wise as a set.

Tomato and tomahto...?

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                  You reckon? I find it extremely balanced output-wise as a set.

Tomato and tomahto...?
                  I just tried the set again and the problem is that the neck is too 'flutey' for me taste. it should howl a bit more, bit more beef but in terms of out put it is ok. I think I simply prefer hotter neck pickups than usual. I use a 59B in the neck with almost everything (and to me the jazz/59 hybrid is also a bit too weak).

Comment

I just tried the set again and the problem is that the neck is too 'flutey' for me taste. it should howl a bit more, bit more beef but in terms of out put it is ok. I think I simply prefer hotter neck pickups than usual. I use a 59B in the neck with almost everything (and to me the jazz/59 hybrid is also a bit too weak).
                    I was talking about my UOA5 modded Ant set... you maybe are referring to the stock Ant? Then I'd get the "flutey" part.

Comment

A2 in a JB is really cool man, you should try it.

Comment

Hi,
                        I am hearing a negative connotation w/A5 + Seth L. I wondered why I was counseled to do so to begin with. I do very much like the A5 over the A2 for S.Lover, but maybe I missed something in that PAF thread.
                        Initially I was trying to boost the Seth a little and do like the A5, but willing to order something different after hearing A5 sounds shrill to some. Not looking to re-visit same thread, but listening to other mag picks, as long as it would be a boost and stay clean. Sounds like my JB is pretty much toast. Will try the A2 w/JB, got nothing to lose.
                        thanks.
                        Steve
                        Last edited by SJ318; 11-29-2012, 12:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by SJ318 View Post
                          Hi,
                          I am hearing a negative connotation w/A5 + Seth L. I wondered why I was counseled to do so to begin with. I do very much like the A5 over the A2 for S.Lover, but maybe I missed something in that PAF thread.
                          Steve, buddy; if it sounds good to you, it's all it counts.

Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
                            A2 in a JB is really cool man, you should try it.
                            +1. JB2 should be a stock model.
                            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by SJ318 View Post
                              Hi,
                              Initially I was trying to boost the Seth a little and do like the A5, but willing to order something different after hearing A5 sounds shrill to some. Not looking to re-visit same thread, but listening to other mag picks, as long as it would be a boost and stay clean. Sounds like my JB is pretty much toast. Will try the A2 w/JB, got nothing to lose.
                              thanks.
                              Steve
                              One man's shrill is another man's articulate and cutting. As someone who also frequently plays strats & teles, a lot of humbuckers are just too dark for me. A Seth or Ant bucker with A4 or A5 usually sounds better to me than A2. There's no right or wrong, both ways are perfectly acceptable. Don't start second guessing your choices just because someone on a message board doesn't have the same tastes as you.

Comment

Working...
                              X