JB and which singles for HSS strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB and which singles for HSS strat?

I had my HSS Strat loaded with a JB and 2 Texas Specials. I love the JB but the Specials weren't doing it for me. Not enough output and a little too thin for my taste.
    So I put the SSL3's in it and holy crap!! I love the midrange they have and they stand up to the JB really well but there's almost too much output. They're a little too much like a P90.
    So i'm thinking about trying the SSL5's or SSL6's. Seems like they have decent output but retain some of the single coil tone.
    I play mostly heavy rock.
    What do you think?

Re: JB and which singles for HSS strat?

The SSL5/6 would be good choices. If you want noise canceling the JB Jr and Little Screamin Demon are good neck shredder that still have some single coil spank.

Comment

I have tried the CustomStack Plus which is meant to be the closest to a noise less version of the SSL-6 (flat poles). It can match the volume output of the JB with no problem and soundsvery articulated even under lots of distortion and when split it gave me a decent quack sound when combined with my stock ceramic true single coil so I gess its quack should be better if I was using something like an SSL-1 or SSL-6 in the middle. Currently I am not using it because I am trying the YJM Fury, but I have a couple of SSL-1s and one SSL-6 waiting in the line for my next experiments, maybe I can tell you more about those in the next weeks, feel fre to reach and ask man any time.
      Who took my guitar?

Comment

I forgot to mention the STK-S7, I have not tried this one my self but this guy has a super cool tone, I think he switches to neck around 1:20

The Ernie Ball Music Man Dreamscape Challenge:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlNZQGuzWo0A Big Thank You to Milan Polak for the beautiful backing track of his...
        Last edited by IMENATOR; 12-01-2012, 11:07 AM.
        Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
          I have tried the CustomStack Plus which is meant to be the closest to a noise less version of the SSL-6 (flat poles). It can match the volume output of the JB with no problem and soundsvery articulated even under lots of distortion and when split it gave me a decent quack sound when combined with my stock ceramic true single coil so I gess its quack should be better if I was using something like an SSL-1 or SSL-6 in the middle. Currently I am not using it because I am trying the YJM Fury, but I have a couple of SSL-1s and one SSL-6 waiting in the line for my next experiments, maybe I can tell you more about those in the next weeks, feel fre to reach and ask man any time.
          The Stack Plus is a great choice! I installed a JB and two new Stack Plus pickups in a customer's Tom Anderson Strat and was very impressed. But I have to say that there's nothing wrong with those Texas Specials either, other than that they're not humcancelling and the Stack Plus is.

Use 250K pots. The "singles" will sound better and the JB will sound better.

It's hard finding singles that sound good with a full size bridge humbucker. You set the amp to sound great with the humbucker and it doesn't sound great with the singles. So you set the tone of your amp to sound great with the singles and then the powerful bridge humbucker doesn't sound great.

I don't really think singles and full size humbuckers work together perfectly on the same guitar.

Some compromise and acceptance of a less than ideal tone is probably going to be needed on your part. IMO.
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I use the same settings with single coils... JBs... Seth Lovers... telecasters etc.

Get a proper sound going and EVERY pickup will sound good.

My Texas Specials sound amazing on the patch or two that I use for everything. lol

Split that JB so that it can combine in the 2nd position with the middle single coil... the 2nd is where I stay 90% of the time when I play my strat.

The Stack Plus pups split well too and could combine in split mode with the JB for a sweet 2nd position noiseless quack.

I see SSLs paired with the JB a lot but it's usually the lower powered SSL-1s which allow the JB to be da boss output and power-wise.

SSL-3, 5 and 6 need to be cranked down until they match output wise (crank that SSL-3 waaay down)... most single coils sweeten up as they move down and high output singles really sweeten up when lowered IMHO.

Plus, I like lowered singles in the middle for better pick access.
            Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Thanks for the responses! Very helpful.
              I use a push/pull pot to split the JB and I keep the SSL's down pretty low in the pickguard. I'm not too concerned about hum canceling.
              I am using a 500k pot. How will using a 250k change the tone of the JB?

Comment

Update.
                So I got 2 SSL-5's and I think I've found my perfect set up!!!!
                They have the right amount of output to keep up with the JB, yet retain that "Strat" sound. Positions 2 & 4 have the right amount of "quack" (when the JB's split).
                The next thing I might try is a 250k volume pot.

Comment

STK-S4

Comment

Check out this drawing: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...2s_1v_2t_5w_as
                    Hum/Single/Single, 1 volume, 2 tones, and 5-way switch. Auto splitting for bridge/middle position.

Here's another one with only 1 tone pot: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...2s_1v_1t_5w_as

I've used the 2nd one on an Ibanez 540R and it worked really well!

Comment

I use the JB with standard SSL-1 singles and it's good, really good. When used in split mode the JB works really well with the other two, just remember to lower the pickup a bit, you gain in articulation and dynamic too.

Comment

Originally posted by Punch Drunk View Post
                        Update.
                        So I got 2 SSL-5's and I think I've found my perfect set up!!!!
                        They have the right amount of output to keep up with the JB, yet retain that "Strat" sound. Positions 2 & 4 have the right amount of "quack" (when the JB's split).
                        The next thing I might try is a 250k volume pot.
                        I have two SSL-5's with a custom in the bridge and feel the same way. Still plenty stratty and quack but enough output to keep up with the custom. I'm using the stock 250k pots and it's worked out well.

Comment

Working...
                        X