Double screw '59 hybrid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double screw '59 hybrid

Has anyone on here (I'm sure), ever made a hybrid of a '59 utilizing both of the adjustable poles on the same pickup?
    I'm kinda wanting to give this a shot, but I thought I'd do some homework and get some insight on this from some of the modders on here.

I'm extremely interested in hearing about this as well as what all different magnets were tried in the process and perhaps your opinions on each variation.

(I'll most likely do the mod myself, unless perhaps someone has one that they aren't using, then I'd consider just grabbing that up)

Thanks much
    87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Re: Double screw '59 hybrid

I can't imagine that there would be enough difference to make it worth while doing it.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

it makes a subtle difference. a little softer attack

Comment

I have to say that I wanted to "clean up" the question of how the different polepiece styles sound individually by making double-screw, double-slug, double-hex and double-everything-else and record them.

Real life interfered. The fact of the matter is that PAF-style one-slug, one-screw seems to be really awesome in a whole range of pickups from a PAF to the DD so it didn't seem like the most urgent thing to test.

Comment

Jeremy pretty much summed it up. Using hex screws like a Demon or experimenting with different adjustments can make some cool sounds that you can't get out of a standard pickup. Also, stud coils tend to be more midrangey.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
            Jeremy pretty much summed it up. Using hex screws like a Demon or experimenting with different adjustments can make some cool sounds that you can't get out of a standard pickup. Also, stud coils tend to be more midrangey.
            Well the hex poles are a major change. It's just (regular) screws and slugs that don't seem to be that different.

Comment

Working...
            X