X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: help making a decision

Jimmy page has a honky tone. Paf.
    Rhoads saturated but not much gain. jb.
    Petrucci lots of gain and very dry. alternative8.

Impossible to have all in one guitar. Why not find your own sound?

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
      No. The p'ups placement under certain harmonic nodes on the guitar determines its basic ground tone. What do you think makes the tonal difference from a NECK p'up to a BRIDGE p'up?

Funny you're custom building a guitar without having the most basic knowledge about how and why it all works together.

Good luck.
      the only time the harmonic node really matters is when you're playing an open string....do you only play open chords? Either way, I don't really like the muddy neck tone, and if i DO want it, all I have to do is dial down the tone knob.

"Jimmy page has a honky tone. Paf.

Impossible to have all in one guitar. Why not find your own sound?"

I don't need a perfect emulation of each sound, just flavors from each...that being said why not a JB/Custom hybrid with an A8 magnet? anyone ever do that?

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
        Jimmy page has a honky tone. Paf.

Impossible to have all in one guitar. Why not find your own sound?
        Rhoads a JB? He had T tops in his les paul and dimarzio PAF's in his polka dot v these were used on the studio albums his tone though is much more from cranked marshalls and the MXR distortion plus without high volume his sound doesnt work
        Petrucci try a Dimarzio Tone Zone for his earlier stuff

If the OP just wants a "flavor" why not size the guitar up after its finished before its finished you cant accurately predict how it will sound with any given pickup. Seems weird you want to build a hybrid to emulate other guitar tones. Your better off listening to the guitar (AFTER its complete) then picking the pick ups for it. Trying to do it before hand is putting the cart before the horse.
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by 0v3nm4n View Post
          the only time the harmonic node really matters is when you're playing an open string

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
            Rhoads a JB? He had T tops in his les paul and dimarzio PAF's in his polka dot v these were used on the studio albums his tone though is much more from cranked marshalls and the MXR distortion plus without high volume his sound doesnt work
            Petrucci try a Dimarzio Tone Zone for his earlier stuff

If the OP just wants a "flavor" why not size the guitar up after its finished before its finished you cant accurately predict how it will sound with any given pickup. Seems weird you want to build a hybrid to emulate other guitar tones. Your better off listening to the guitar (AFTER its complete) then picking the pick ups for it. Trying to do it before hand is putting the cart before the horse.

PAFs, Customs, I think It's all in the same ball park. Obviously, I won't really pick the right pups till way later, but I like having a preconceived notion as to what to expect with the variables given. The only thing I can decide now is to go H-H, H-S, H-S-H...etc. I was just looking for some suggestions as to what direction I should go. Because you know, it's a forum, and folks here have different experiences be it; matching woods together, wood with electronics, blah blah blah. Bottom line...sometimes you need a 2nd pair of eyes.

Comment

Working...
            X