banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antiquity I Texas Hot in middle position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antiquity I Texas Hot in middle position?

Thinking of doing a trade of an SSL-5 (which I'm not using) for an Antiquity I Texas Hot-- the regular 6.4K version, not the hotter 9-10K custom bridge.

I'm wondering how the Ant would sound in the middle position on a swamp ash strat. Rosewood board, vintage trem, standard 250K pots. Right now I have an SSL-1 set in it and a 3-way strat switch (I'm not a fan of the notch positions).

Ideally, I'd like the tone pots hooked up to the neck and bridge pickups, and leave the middle pickup for that wide open sound. Right now, with an SSL-1 in the middle, that's a little too bright sounding.

I've read the Ant I Texas Hot is a little too smokey in the neck position, but I'm thinking this might be just perfect for my needs for the middle position.

thoughts?
    "I shall allow this GAS bubble to pass, a mere fart in time." - Aceman

Re: Antiquity I Texas Hot in middle position?

It's a great pickup in all positions. I prefer the slightly brighter tone of the Antiquity Surfer as my neck and middle pickups but I loved the full set of Texas Hots I used in my Strat before switching to a Surfer neck and middle.

I say go for it. You may (or may not) find that the Texas Hot is out of phase with your other pickups. In that case just reverse the black and white wires of the Texas Hot. May not be necessary though.

The Texas Hots and Surfers are out of phase with each other though and require reversing the wires to get them in phase.
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 12-05-2012, 11:40 AM.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Lew-
      thanks for the advice-- luckily with just a 3-way switch, polarity and phase aren't issues, but it's handy to know that if I ever swapped the switch out for a 5-way, I may have some wires to swap to keep the pickups playing nice together.
      "I shall allow this GAS bubble to pass, a mere fart in time." - Aceman

Comment

i use a texas hot in the middle and i think it sounds great!

Comment

Working...
        X