Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rosie finally got her makeover

hey guys. it's been a while.

you may remember i acquired a new-to-me LP studio plus ("rosie"), red with gold hardware, and i was complaining about the 490R/498T combo in it. the bridge was screechy and nasal, the neck was muddy. messing with both the guitar and the amp, i could dial in a sound that was acceptable to me, but i didn't like having my options so limited on what should be a versatile axe. i talked about putting a jazz/JB combo in it, since they were free (dystrust had them in a box somewhere). everyone told me no no no, the JB will sound AWFUL, try a magnet swap instead.

well. i have not done the magnet swap. it may still happen someday, just not now.

i DID (with help) install the JB and jazz. also, she now has 500K pots, '50s-style wiring, and new caps. let me tell you guys, her sound has improved by leaps and bounds. i see what you all meant by the JB not sounding so great--it's very bright and nasal when played clean--but honestly i don't have a whole lot of interest in playing squeaky clean on the bridge anyway, and the overdriven tone is awesome, growly and biting without being harsh.

besides, i think the double-blacks suit her. dials back the gold just enough so she looks like she's wearing a bit of classy gold jewelry, rather than like she has several gold teeth.

oh, and did i mention these are actually my first SDs? i guess my presence here is now legit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rosie1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	5826027

Click image for larger version

Name:	rosie2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	5826026
    SOON, WE WILL ALL HAS A FLAVR!!1!

the definition of insanity

Re: rosie finally got her makeover

That is a really nice looking Studio!
    PRS Singlecuts
    Epiphone Sheraton II
    Vintage acoustics

Comment

Nice axe. I bet your very happy.
      I want more me in my tone.

Comment

thanks guys. in retrospect, i probably should've posted this to the guitar shop forum instead of here. i was thinking "pup swap, put it on the pup board." ah well.

Comment

It's topical here.

Even if they don't work, trying free pickups is at worst a waste of time. More likely they help you figure out what does work in the guitar, if or when you get around to trying again.

It's pretty rare you can't get something usable in leads out of a JB, even in guitars it doesn't like. It's rhythm, cleans and sometimes riffs where trouble pops up.

Some JB/Jazz users prefer the middle position for cleans, even if they never use the bridge for cleans by itself. Might be worth some fiddling with pickup balance there to see if that works well for you.

Anyways, glad they're working for you!
          Last edited by Despair; 12-08-2012, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Wow! That's a sweet guitar.

Comment

Very nice. Beautiful guitar.
              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

If you were a guy, id tell you that you commited a Faux puax by putting a JB in a Mahogany Les Paul, so I'll just ask you to tell Dystrust I asked him to tell you. lol.
                "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                  If you were a guy, id tell you that you commited a Faux puax by putting a JB in a Mahogany Les Paul, so I'll just ask you to tell Dystrust I asked him to tell you. lol.
                  but isn't "faux pas" kind of a girly thing to say? good thing i don't give a shiat about cliches and faux pas, only what sounds good to me.

Comment

Hey-it can work. I had a JB/59 in my first LPC (an 81) and it sounded great. Yeah, the cleans were a bit harsh, but I didn't care. I was all about the RAWK.

Looks good, btw. Get you some gold screws!

Comment

Congrats on your first Duncans! JB/Jazz is a great combo. If you want more "umph" try a Custom some day. It is a monster pick up and goes well with the Jazz.

Comment

Ohhhh yayuh!

Lookin' good, lookin' good!

Comment

That's a good-looking LP! Glad you're enjoying the Duncans. I've paired a '59/Custom Hybrid in the bridge of my Fret King Esprit and that's a great combo. The hybrid is a great balance between vintage warm tones, and a more modern edge and matches well with the Jazz.

Either way, get rockin'!!!

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Longcat I am having the same issues with my HB-102 pickups which are an off shore clone of the same set you have there. I have some magnets coming so I can try A2's, A3's, &a4's to get what I'm hearing in my head before changing pickups. I'll post my conclusions on each magnet when I'm done.
                            I want more me in my tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Grenade View Post
                              Longcat I am having the same issues with my HB-102 pickups which are an off shore clone of the same set you have there. I have some magnets coming so I can try A2's, A3's, &a4's to get what I'm hearing in my head before changing pickups. I'll post my conclusions on each magnet when I'm done.
                              What issues are you having with your HB102s? I haven't played that many, but I am somewhat familiar with them. Longcat's LP sounds great; depending on the issues you're having new pots / caps may be in order.

As a side note to Jeff, I also have a spare Custom in my parts bin and that resided in my Les Paul from about 2002-2008. There was absolutely no shortage of 'oomph', but I frequently found myself fighting with excessive low end. For this reason I suggested trying a JB first, and it seems to be a winner.
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                              X