Neck mini humbucker to match the JB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck mini humbucker to match the JB

I've out grown my Fat Alnico Mini from GFS. It is way to warm to match the JB. There isn't any clarity to speak of. I liked it at first because I'm used to battling neck pickups that are too bright, but this guitar really needs some clarity in the neck.

Mini's are expensive! Should I go the GFS route again? They offer mini Birds (firebird style) or the little mini crunchy...both are ceramic.

What about name brand mini's? If I order one through my guitar shop they'll install it for free. I have to go for fret work on the old frankencaster anyway, might as well get a high quality mini from them and have them install it for free. The duncans are really expensive, the dimarzio is a bit cheaper. I've never heard anything about the dimarzio, can't find any reviews.

If anyone has matched mini's to the JB, tell me your story. Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	8291764822_c79fbfc8ac_z.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	5826150

- - - Updated - - -

If you can't tell, that is a warmoth swamp ash body, mighty mite maple neck with rosewood fretboard.

Re: Neck mini humbucker to match the JB

Ha! I scooped up a duncan designed mini mh-101 cr. So much for this thread. I guess I'll just report back on how it compares to the gfs fat mini since there is zero info about the duncan designed minis online.

Comment

Ok, I have to revive this thread. I need a new neck mini humbucker. I'm going to buy new, don't want to spend more than $90. What should I get to go with the JB?

Comment

Choices for mini's are really limited. They are either weak or like dragonfire.

Hit up Zhangbucker for a couple of ideas.....he'll be just over your max by $10 but at least you'll get exactly what you want.

Comment

Actually im going to buy from my guitar repair shop so needs to be a duncan or dimarzio

Comment

I was hesitant to reply because I haven't tried it with a jb, but I have a "Seymourized" Mini in the neck position of a Les Paul and I would recommend it on the basis that it has the clarity you are looking for.

Comment

Seymourized and Custom both seem like good choices, I like that the Seymourized is alnico v. I will probably go with one of these, anyone else want to chime in on which?

Comment

Last call for opinions. I'm trying to decide between the sm-3 Seymourized, sm-2 Custom, or the Dimarzio mini neck

Comment

Whatever strength minis that Gibson put in their 70s Deluxes matched decently with a DMZ Distortion that was sized to fit the mini cavity (DX something, had it in the bridge). While a Super D is not a JB, the matching qualities may be similar. FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by Franknfilms View Post
                    Last call for opinions. I'm trying to decide between the sm-3 Seymourized, sm-2 Custom, or the Dimarzio mini neck
                    Jim Soloway uses the Dimarzio vintage minihumbucker or the Lollar Firebird mini (supposedly amazing, but out of your price range) in the neck of a lot of his builds. You can find well-done clips on his website or Youtube.

Comment

I've got $160 left to spend in gift cards. I'm starting to think I should go for a new set of pickups for this guitar. The JB is nice, but I wouldn't mind something a little lower in output, more versatile. I do love the metal, but I also want this guitar to sound like it looks..a hot rodded classic. Choosing from only Duncan and Dimarzio offerings, what set would you put in this guitar?

Off hand, I'm very interested in some of the mid-heavy dimarzio options for the bridge like the Norton or Breed.

Comment

Here is what the bridge sounds like with the JB

Comment

I'd go with '59/Custom Hybrid or Phat Cat in the bridge and SM-3n or SM-1n. I'd consider SM-1b in the neck if I have a real hot bridge pickup like JB.

Comment

Sm-1b sounds like a great option for the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Franknfilms View Post
                              I've out grown my Fat Alnico Mini from GFS. It is way to warm to match the JB. There isn't any clarity to speak of.
                              Probably a horrible tone-sucking cover.
                              Generic signature line.

Comment

Working...
                              X