banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to handwind a pickup without the wire breaking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to handwind a pickup without the wire breaking?

just a thought.

a while ago I bought a Strat pickup bobbin and I rescued the wire from a dead pickup I had laying around, so I thought I would use the wire off the dead pickup to make a new one.

in mind I have no equipment as such to automate the procedure, I did it by hand. I did lots of winds and then the wire broke.... this happened 3 times before I gave up and shoved it in the tool box.

How do you stop it from breaking and am I better off making a little Winding machine myself and using new wire???
    Ich bin mein führer

Originally posted by tiptipono
    you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Re: How to handwind a pickup without the wire breaking?

I haven't tried it myself, but I could not even imagine attempting it by hand. Winders are pretty expensive but I've heard of people mounting the bobbin on a drillpress or hand drill with success. Still seems problematic to me. Sorry I can't be of much help with this.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I've herd of people using sewing machines.
      Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
      If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

Read here: http://www.zhangbucker.com/humbuckers.html
        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

thanks guys!

I am thinking of doing a strat pickup since I have the bobbin....

So I was thinking would 42 or 43AWG be good enough for the job?

also how much would I need 500g of either wire is quite expensive so would 100G do the job?

Also question abou pickup magnets. on a strat pickup, if I have magnetised polepieces no matter what type they are, and put a bar magnet underneath as well (no matter what type either) would this have any real difference on the characteristics of the pickup?? I only ask because this could lead to some experimentation.
          Ich bin mein führer

you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Comment

42 and 43 are common sizes for pup wire. old strat pups use 42, hotter more modern pups like ssl5 use 43. i dont know how much wire you need in weight, but you need at least 120 meters.

How do you stop it from breaking
            be more careful. really, thats all there is too it. wire that thin is pretty easy to break so you need to be very careful when hand winding. putting 9000 turns of wire on a bobbin by hand takes a long ass time and a lot of patience

as far as your magnet question... im not sure what you are asking. you have a strat bobbin with the six pole piece magnets and you want to put a bar magnet on the bottom as well? the type of pole piece magnets will effect the sound. alnico II wont sound like alnico V.

ive never tried adding a bar magnet to the bottom but i dont see it helping anything.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              42 and 43 are common sizes for pup wire. old strat pups use 42, hotter more modern pups like ssl5 use 43. i dont know how much wire you need in weight, but you need at least 120 meters.

be more careful. really, thats all there is too it. wire that thin is pretty easy to break so you need to be very careful when hand winding. putting 9000 turns of wire on a bobbin by hand takes a long ass time and a lot of patience

as far as your magnet question... im not sure what you are asking. you have a strat bobbin with the six pole piece magnets and you want to put a bar magnet on the bottom as well? the type of pole piece magnets will effect the sound. alnico II wont sound like alnico V.

ive never tried adding a bar magnet to the bottom but i dont see it helping anything.
              you pretty much answered my question! lol

and ok just go a lot easier. I can get some 43 wire on a 100g spool and it has about 4500 meters of wire. so that should be enough, lol
              Ich bin mein führer

Comment

should I also be a bit looser with my winding? cause I try and do it pretty tight which probably isn't helping matters....
                Ich bin mein führer

Comment

Way back about 30 years ago I popped an A5 bar on the bottom of a Strat pu and I couldn't hear any difference. As for breaking wire, as Jeremy said it's no mystery or secret, you just have to have a softer touch. You're probably trying to go too fast and/or gripping too tight. Just keep the grip as light as you can without it slipping out, and just one turn every two to three seconds until you develop the touch and then you can go faster.

I had the opposite experience when I first started -- I was amazed at how much stress the wire could take without breaking. Guess I have a naturally lighter touch.
                  Generic signature line.

Comment

I built a winder from a hand drill a few years ago and wound a few pups that came out OK, but not worth the time or eyestrain to me.

Thre is a guy selling / trading a Macguyverized sewing machine winder on Harmony Central

scroll to post #88

Comment

To me it sounds like you had some super-thin wire in your original pickup.

You should definitely start out with awg42. Thicker is easier. And you need to pull strong, otherwise it gets microphonic.

Signed, uOpt, sitting on pickup making materials without doing anything with it.

Comment

thanks

and I did chuckle at that last line!
                        Ich bin mein führer

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                          And you need to pull strong, otherwise it gets microphonic.
                          He's breaking the wire. I don't think his problem is not pulling strong enough.
                          Generic signature line.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
                            He's breaking the wire. I don't think his problem is not pulling strong enough.
                            Yes, what I was saying is that pulling less is no solution. If you do that you might be able to work the thin wire but if the resulting pickup is too loose you can't rescue it even if you are potting.

Comment

perhaps just taking my time will help with this.
                              Ich bin mein führer

Comment

Working...
                              X