PATB-3 in les paul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PATB-3 in les paul?

I know the PATB-3 blues model is meant for trem guitars - how does it sound in a Gibson standard les paul? Thinking of doing it...

Thanks

Re: PATB-3 in les paul?

Me too. Bump
    nobody loves me but my mama... and she could be jivin' too.

Comment

Someone here did it a few years back and posted a pic of it in Paul
      When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

Too fat. Its designed to make a strat fat, so an already thick sounding guitar its too much....unless of course you're teenaged and play through a line 6 with fully scooped mids.

Comment

alex, have you really tried it?i have and its amazing. i tried it in 5 les pauls and all 5 were amazing. it has the grit and girth of the 59, sweetness of the seth and edge and raunchyness of the pearly gates.

i am getting tired of all the hearsay. no one seems to be willing to TRY something, to look beyond specs. the patb3 in a les paul has been discussed several times and i even wrote a blog about it. it is the third hit in google if you enter seymour patb3 les paul. doing a search aint thay hard....

Comment

for the record. that last paragraph is on me, on a personal title.

Comment

Yes I've done it.....I wouldn't bother saying that unless I had.

Your Les Pauls are of the Warmoth bolt on neck variety are they not??

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                Yes I've done it.....I wouldn't bother saying that unless I had.

Your Les Pauls are of the Warmoth bolt on neck variety are they not??
                Amongst others, I have 2 1959 replica's (not gibsons!) with lightweight mahogany and brasilian rosewood. and in exactly that kind of guitar I stuck the PATB3 in (but also in 2 warmoths and 1 crimson to get a real good grasp on the tone of the pickkup). I think that having les pauls with real honduras lightweight mahogany makes a huge difference. Think '1959' les paul (and yes, I tried those too ). In hamers, PRS-ses, the patb3 would rock, but in a gibson not so much because gibsons sound, by default, less clear, open and chimey than those older gibsons (or proper '59 replica's).

Comment

A few months ago I acquired my 1st LP. It's an EPI Les Paul Custom. I threw in a PATB-3 that I had on a shelf. It became one of my favorite guitars. The PATB-3 in an LP is a match made in heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    A few months ago I acquired my 1st LP. It's an EPI Les Paul Custom. I threw in a PATB-3 that I had on a shelf. It became one of my favorite guitars. The PATB-3 in an LP is a match made in heaven.
                    So the midrange "honk" isn't overwhelming in the les paul?

Comment

Not to me. This combination seems to be almost perfectly balanced. I'd almost call it a "hi-fi" tone.

Comment

Artie is spot on. It would be a grave mistake to assume the patb3 cannot work in a less paul type guitar. Idem dito for the screaming demon.

Comment

Well, after installing the PATB-3 in my les paul, I have to agree with those who say it is too much. I find it too piercing in the high end, I guess some call it that hi-fi sound but it's just not my deal....

I can see where it would work well for some classic rock sounds, but I prefer the super distortion that was in there before...

One PATB-3 for sale!

Comment

I had in a 1999 les paul classic and liked it in a way. Very clear, but full and a great piano like bass. In the realm of a c5 but not as scooped IMO
                            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Working...
                            X