Impedance Matching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impedance Matching

There is a significant difference in the impedance of a 59 (7.43k) and a Tele Hot Rail (14.8 k). If I remember my basic electronics, the quality will degrade if you run these together, but I see that Mike Stern is doing that with his Yamaha guitar. Is there a special way that guitar is wired or is the effect minimal?

Re: Impedance Matching

Impedance matching is more a consideration when you're dealing with "maximum power transfer". For example:

amp to speaker, transmitter to antenna, etc.

Its not quite so important in line level applications. Although, its still a consideration. The value of the pot, or "load", you place on a pup does affect its sound.

But mixing two different pups isn't generally a problem. IMHO.

Comment

Thank you. That explains it.

Comment

Impendance matching is also very important in very high frequency signals like microwaves etc. Not so, in acoustic frequency signals, I think.
        Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
          Impedance matching is more a consideration when you're dealing with "maximum power transfer". For example:

amp to speaker, transmitter to antenna, etc.

Its not quite so important in line level applications. Although, its still a consideration. The value of the pot, or "load", you place on a pup does affect its sound.

But mixing two different pups isn't generally a problem. IMHO.
          I think people tend to forget that the second (lower impedance or resistance in this case) pup is a second source and contibutes to the output as well ... in other words, it's not just a furthe load on the system (err, higher Z'ed or DCR'ed pup).
          ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
          ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
          Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
          X