Just a thought!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a thought!!!!!

It seems that the higher output pickups dont have AS good a tone as the lower output ones do so wouldn`t it make sense to get the pickup that sounded the best and let the amp make up for the lack of heavyness and output power? Since an amp with good distortion will beef up a lower output pickup, it wont give a pickup better tone that doesn`t already have it in the first place, in my opinion anyway! Of course i can be totally off my rocker and have no idea what i`m talking about!!! *LOL*

Re: Just a thought!!!!!

Don`t mind me.....*lol* I think what i was trying to say was if your into heavy metal you would go for a killer high output pickup....but if you ever wanted to get more from it and it doesn`t have the best tone,theres not much i think you can do. As where a great sounding pickup thats not high output can benefit from a great amp with great distortion!

Comment

Plenty of high output pickups have righteous tone. Take the Distortion for example, that thing is a beast and my personaly favorite I might add.

Now, onto your other point, there are tons of guys who use lower output pickups and get their gain from the amp. So, the idea has been around for a while.
      Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

I think if you want great tone this is the way. I'm not sure if this is enough for metal, but for hard rock and other styles that need less output is the best. Although many people play metal with low output pickups. They can inform you better.
        Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

I think thats too simplistic of a blanket statement. High output doesnt equate bad tone. At minimum you would need to define high output and tone. Whats high output and toneful to me may not be to you. And even then I beg to differ on it. Some of my favorite pickups are very loud.
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

That's right. This matter is very subjective. I like high output pickups, but just imo, the best tones I've ever heard were coming out from low output pickup users, ZZ top, AC/DC, Van Halen etc...and not from heavy metal bands, despite that I like metal a lot, equally with hard rock and blues.
            Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

The reason i started this thread was because i am mad at myself for getting caught up in the hype that i wanted the highest output and most brutal sounding passive pickup i could find and ignored my feelings regarding tone. I had a Invader installed in my guitar and although a very hot pickup,i was very disappointed in the tone. I think the most important thing is liking the sound of a pickup and not how high the output is.I made that mistake and learned from it!

Comment

Originally posted by metaled
                I think the most important thing is liking the sound of a pickup and not how high the output is.!
                That's very true.
                I was also looking for high output pickups only. The best hot pup for me is the Custom (geat pickup), but I think nothing is better than an old-PAF toned pickup. I was always improving my tone but never got what I expected. You know, your tone is improved but you hear for one more time that compressed character of the hot pickups that shades the whole tone. I think I'll try some low output pickups some time. As for output, push it with a pedal.
                The Custom is killer though, because it has a more vintage vibe in it.
                Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

Working...
                X