banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A volume for each coil of a HB. And a push pull for series/parallel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A volume for each coil of a HB. And a push pull for series/parallel.

On my lapsteel I'm thinking about wiring each coil of the humbucker with independent volumes and a push/pull for series parallel. Should sound cool being able to mix the coils in either mode.
    Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

Re: A volume for each coil of a HB. And a push pull for series/parallel.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but thats going to be very difficult, and won't work the way you think it will. Twin volume controls interact with each other, as in, turning down one, also kills the other. And to make things more complicated, the way you wire up series volumes and parallel volumes is completely different. It will take a strange multi-pole switch. I'm not saying you can't do it, but it will be "weird".

On a good note, you've piqued my interest in this idea. I'll see what solutions I can come up with. Active electronics would make this much easier, except for the fabrication of the circuit.

Comment

If i reverse the lugs on the pots, doesn't it disable the pots from acting as a master volume for each other?

Comment

Yes, to some degree. But then you run into a new problem: As you lower the volume control, you increase the "load" on the pickup, which alters its tone. Its not horrible, but noticeable. Its why so many people lament over using 250k, 300k, or 500k pots for their axe. And you still have the series/parallel dilemma. Again, not horrible, just something to consider.

Btw, I have a dual-pot design that solves this problem, but it's still in the development stages due mainly to the difficulty of finding the proper pots that I need. But I've built one prototype, and it works. Stay tuned.

Comment

This is what i just came up with.

Comment

The switch that you show, is wired for "phase", rather than series/parallel. Is that what you meant?

Comment

Yea if i treat the coils as individual pickups, wouldnt phasing one of them put them in series or parallel?

Comment

No. Two completely different things.

But the series/parallel idea is good. Thats two good sounds out of a pup.

Comment

Well ****

Comment

Its not a problem, though. Give me a day or two, and I'll show you a couple of cool options. Just doing a simple series/parallel option with a DPDT switch would probably be even better than messing with the dual-volumes. But I don't want to dampen you idea either. I love strange wiring.

Comment

The original plan was to use a triple shot, because i love how versatile a single pickup becomes with them.
                      Last edited by rumblebox; 01-12-2013, 11:16 PM.

Comment

A triple shot will work great, but it doesn't lend itself well to the dual-volumes.

Comment

How about a blend pot?
                          You would still need a master volume.
                          This would require an extra pot if keep
                          a master tone pot and either of these can
                          then also do series/parallel and also phase.
                          Hell, nice solution if I say so myself.

Comment

if you figure out a way to make it work...why not make one coil's pot control in/out of phase, and the other pot control series parallel?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                              Yes, to some degree. But then you run into a new problem: As you lower the volume control, you increase the "load" on the pickup, which alters its tone. Its not horrible, but noticeable. Its why so many people lament over using 250k, 300k, or 500k pots for their axe.
                              Artie has it. This is the main issue IMO. With individual volumes you essentially run the pots in parallel dropping the resistance too low to sound open and full when the pickup is in series. If you compensate for this by using 1M pots etc. you have a pickup that is too bright when in parallel or when using a single coil on its own. Depending on the pots, reversing the lugs on has an unpleasant side effect. You may experience little change in volume until the last 20% of the taper. You certainly have options and I wish you the best in the venture. I have found over the years that many manufacturers / builder design wiring in 'traditional' ways primarily because it sounds best. And isn't that the goal?

Much respect,

Rodney Gene, Austin Texas
                              Rodney Gene Junior - My Artist Page And Gear Affiliations Austin Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X